Conditions based on UTM parameters not working

Hi,

On my site, a number of my pages use conditions to display and not display items depending on parameters in the URL. i.e I may show a download only if the user has come from my mailing list using a custom parameter in my URL. This is a fantastic and powerful feature in Xtheme.

However, though I’m able to use any of my own custom parameters, whenever I try to use a UTM parameter i.e “utm_content” this functionality breaks. In fact if I add “utm” to any of my custom parameters, it breaks.

For example using your conditions and basing it on a string using {{dc:url:param key=“test”}} I was able to display additional information on my page when “?test=test” was in my URL. However, when changing this to “?utm_test=test” it no longer works. Obviously utm_test is not a utm parameter itself but this just to show you that simply having those three letters in a parameter stops this from working completely.

Is this by design? Are you blocking this feature from working with UTM parameters purposefully or is there a bug here? Or do I have to use a different feature designed specifically for UTM parameters?

I’d love to be able to use UTMs as it will allow for some powerful user experience features plus information in my analytics.

I hope this makes sense, I don’t know all of the correct terminology, but with some tinkering I discovered this feature and would love to use it to its full potential. Would love if you could test this and get back to me.

Thanks for your time and help,

Stefan

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for writing in!

The dynamic content {{dc:url:param key="utm_test"}} should work as your element condition. It must be paired with a string to make the condition true or false.

Would you mind providing us an example URL with a parameter in it? We want to test it out on your site if you allow us to. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough in my initial message. I understand how the element conditions works, pairing it with a string to make the condition true of false. I have a few instances working just fine. i.e people that come from my newsletter will click a link with ?source=newsletter appended for example and if {{dc:url:param key=“source”}} is newsletter then a download link button will show on the destination page. That is fine and has been working flawlessly for many months.

What I’m saying here however, is - if I were to turn that same element condition to “{{dc:url:param key=“utm_source”}} is newsletter” it would stop working completely. Just the existence of the letters “utm” as the key stops the element condition from working.

The letters UTM need be present as all of the Google UTM parameters use it - utm_campaign, utm_source, utm_content etc. (As I know you’d know).

So I wanted to know if you’ve coded XTheme to stop UTM parameters from working in element conditions or if this is a bug.

My site is live so I was hoping you could test having UTM parameters in your element conditions on your end to see if it works. But if not let me know and I’ll create some dummy pages.

I hope that makes more sense. And thanks again for your help

Best,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I have just checked the utm_source parameter in condition and it works. I have used that in the Column, please find the screenshot given below.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Cheers. It must be something on my end preventing it from working. Very strange, I’m going to spin up a local version of my site and see if I can figure out what’s causing the problem, maybe another plugin, I don’t see how but worth the check. Thanks again for your time.

Hi Stefan,

Glad that we are able to help you.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.