Cannot update to Cornerstone 8.3 - Fatal Error

Hi,

I am getting an error when trying to update Cornerstone which is throwing a fatal error and locking out access to the Admin dashboard. The issue looks identical to this thread but I didn’t want to hijack that one: Critical website error: Admin unavailable after performing automatic update on theme and cornerstone plugin

X is updated to the latest version, I have cleared the cache and there are no other plugin issues that I can see. Please can you advise next steps.

Many thanks,
Steve Oke

Hello Steve,

Thanks for writing to us.

I would suggest you follow the below steps while updating to the latest version of the theme.

1. Delete the Cornerstone
  2. Update the X theme to the latest version on automatic updates
  3. After the X theme is updated, use the link in the dashboard to automatically install the Cornerstone. It will be at the latest version

I would also suggest you troubleshot a few common issues

1.Plugin Conflict
2.Theme Update related issue
3.Child Theme Related issue
4.CSS/JS Customization

If it doesn’t work for you please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hi, I have gone through those steps, still no luck. I have left a secure note as requested.

Hi @SmithNewmans,

I suggest that you disable all your plugins first and then activate your cornerstone plugin. If the issue still persists, please copy your website into a staging area so that we can investigate further about the said issue. To do that, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• Staging WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Hi, I think creating a staging site is a bit of an ask, especially as this was urgent as the site wasn’t displaying properly. In the end, I downloaded an older version of X from the portal and copied out Cornerstone from that.

It’s displaying ok now and Cornerstone is working on the old version.

Hi @SmithNewmans,

We’re glad that you’re able to find a temporary solution to your issue. On the other hand, If you still want the updated one, I suggest try temporarily downgrading the PHP version below version 7 or upgrading PHP to 7.4 and see if the error goes away. This issue was already posted to our issue tracker.

Please stay tuned and hope that helps.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.