Blog Post Index Page and Show Posts

Hello,

A. I’ve installed the Ethos Gym demo but can only get the blog to look like the demo (https://demo.theme.co/gym/news/) if I set a Posts page (named: blog) in Settings>Reading. (Link in Private Message below) This however turns off Cornerstone and I can only edit it with the Wordpress editor. If I remove the “Blog” page from Reading>Post Page, I can edit it in Cornerstone, but can only get my recent posts to appear by using the “Classic Recent Posts” element. Is this element the only way (excluding grid plugins) to get recent posts on a “cornerstone-editable” blog index page, or am I missing a step in creating my “posts index” page or do I have a bug? The Recent Post element is, sorry, woefully inadequate given it shows only 4 posts and lacks any real formatting options.

I would prefer not to use either of the grid plugins/extensions to avoid additional plugins and grid / masonry layouts are image-centric and in my option, confuse or scatter the readers eye.

B. Is there a way to either partially install a different Ethos demo to get the blog looking like https://demo.theme.co/ethos-1/ instead of the Gym/news blog? I’ve backed up my XCS Theme Options (and (whole site and was about to load the Ethos-1 template to see if that gives more what I’m after.

I’d be happy initially with just want 10 or 20 posts (headline, summary, image) down a blog page with pagination at the bottom but having browsed the forums for over a day start to wonder if theme.co have overlooked some more basic traditional blog layout options that are in standard Wordpress themes.

C. I’m about to convert this site to Pro but don’t expect the blog options to be much different. Please correct me if Pro has better blog format options.

D. Is the only reason I wouldn’t use the Portfolio pages for my Blog if I wanted to later have both a Blog and a Portfolio? The Portfolio seems to offer more options like social sharing etc but before I start using Portfolio for the blog (settings up categories etc) I want to be sure I won’t regret it.

Thanks, Rob

Hello Robert,

Thanks for writing in!

1.) Please understand that when a normal page is set as Posts Page or the blog index, you can no longer edit the content area either using Cornerstone or WordPress Editor. This is a WordPress default because the post items in the blog index will be dynamically generated by WordPress. Any other content other than Title will no be diplayed at all on this specific page.

You can check out this WordPress documentation here:

This is why we have an option that you can tweak the blog index as we have unique designed the blog index in each respective stack. You can check out the X > Theme Options > Blog and the X > Theme Options > {your stack} > Blog Options.

2.) The gym demo site https://demo.theme.co/gym/news/ is actually similar to ethos 1 demo, https://demo.theme.co/ethos-1/. They almost have the same settings except than on the ethos 1 demo the “Filterable Index” option is enabled in X > Theme Options > {your stack} > Blog Options.

Normally, WordPress will only display 10 post items in the blog index. If you want to increase/decrease it, you may go to Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most. The pagination automatically appears on the blog index if there are several post items to display.

3.) To compare X theme and Pro theme, please check out this documentation:

4.) If you are creating post items, you should use the post. A portfolio is good to showcase something as portfolio items like your works, painting, or anything that needs to be in display.

Hope this helps.

Thats a little helpful thank you.

The only way I can get it to look like the Gym/News is by putting the blank page “Blog” in Settings>Reading>Posts Page. If I take the page out of Settings>Readings (ie. put None), I can edit the page “blog” in Cornerstone, but there is nothing on the live page, as in , no recent posts, unless I use the Recent Posts element which has poor display options.

Is this normal?

Is there a way to get the recent posts to display in a cornerstone editable page without using a grid plugin or the recent posts element?

Asked another way, does the Gym demo just have the News page set in Settings>Reading>Post page?

Hello Rob,

Asked another way, does the Gym demo just have the News page set in Settings>Reading>Post page?

Yes, certainly. The same goes with the Ethos demo.

Is there a way to get the recent posts to display in a cornerstone editable page without using a grid plugin or the recent posts element?

As I have explained, a normal page can be created and edited with Cornerstone. Once you have assigned this normal page as the Settings > Reading > Post Page, all of the contents will be discarded and WordPress will take over to display the post items dynamically.

Best Regards.

Ok, thank you.

I’ll look for a plugin or another way to change the format of the dynamic recent posts display and other blog index fixed elements. With all the design options within X, it surprises me the Blog is largely left “as is” with a few features to turn on and off.

Thank you for your patience to help me understand this.

You are most welcome!
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.