Beta 6: BUG? Error on archive builder

I added a new layout, single for a custom post type. Worked fine.
Repeated the process to create the archive for it and get the attached error and the home page loads instead in the builder (although uneditable)

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 22.21.50

Hey Chris,

Sorry about the delay here. I’m not seeing this myself but maybe we can narrow it down. Are you using a blog that is assigned to a page (under Reading settings) or is the blog your home page? If it’d be possible to login and check out the configuration for myself let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: Or do you think you might be getting this issue?

If that’s the case I think I might not be seeing it because it was caused by something we’ve already fixed! (and I’m not testing the previous patch. Maybe just try the next patch once it’s out and let me know if that sorts it out for you.

Hey Alex,

It’s the same error for sure although I wasn’t trying WooCommerce, just a custom post type.
I’ll give the next patch a go and see if it is fixed and let you know.

Hope all’s well!

Thanks! Sounds good!

Hey Alex,
Hope you had a good weekend.

Follow up on this. Different error/issue this time!
I deleted the previous to start fresh. When I first create an archive, it loads the home page in the preview (uneditable) and has no sections/rows/layouts on the left and says:
‘Hey, no suitable preview area found’ (see pic)
I added sections/rows/columns and then refreshed and nothing - still showing the home page in the preview and can’t see the blocks I’d put in.

Hey @RubberDuckers

Thanks! Would it be ok if I logged in to check this one out? I’ve not been able to reproduce it. I suspect it the same root cause as the zone notification error above and the changes didn’t fix the specific problem happening in your install.

Hey @alexander - sure thing, I’ll send a secure note

Thank you! Sorry for the delay here. First, in the course of investigating I installed a development build on your site (so it’s effectively an inbetween beta with more fixes…) Second, it was simply a case of the posts page not being setup (Under Settings > Reading). Because you have a home page and no posts page, it kinda got stuck. What I’ve done is updated the Error message to help nudge users in the right direction.

Once you fire up a Layout you can use the Preview Switcher to view it on a specific Post Type. When you save, it will remember the last thing you were previewing.

Hey Alex - no worries at all!

Ah ok! That’d be good to include - I often don’t set a posts page if there’s no blog on the site. In this scenario for example there’s no blog but different post types that originally would have been pages but with the new builder it makes sense to make it easier for the client to manage with different post types.

Not that blogs will be hard to build from now on with the new layout builder, but what do you recommend going there as a posts page if there’s not a blog, just custom post types?

Thanks!

Right, I can see that being a common workflow as many sites use CPTs but not a blog. To get the archive builder working you’ll just need to set the preview URL to one of your custom post types.

That makes sense, probably worth including in the docs when you do them for set up :slight_smile:

:+1: Roger that.