Been working on RankMath plugin compatibility

Something for when there’s nothing else to do! :laughing:
I normally use RankMath as my SEO plugin. It creates auto-snippets for the og:description part of the page info. Normally I manually edit them anyway, but I notice that the auto created ones always put a \n\n after a heading element, so the preview ends up like “this is my headline\n\nthis is the text of the following page element
The resultant page source strips the \ out so the og:description is: “this is my headlinennthis is the text of the following page element
I sent a ticket in to RankMath about this - ticket number #764705
They say:
" Please note that Rank Math uses the data from the post_content on your database to generate the meta description.

However, after checking your website, we can see the Cornerstone page builder itself is adding the \n\n to the database and that’s why Rank Math is fetching it when generating your meta description.

In this case, we suggest you get in touch with Themeco support and inform them about this issue as they might already have a solution for this."

I don’t see why they can’t just work around this when they detect that Cornerstone is activated, but I thought I’d send this in to you anyway - maybe when you get time you could work with them to improve how RankMath and Cornerstone work together?

Thanks for all your hard work!
Steve

After contacting RankMath again and asking if they could create a way to work better by detecting the cornerstone elements they replied:

We don’t usually include specific conditions for specific page builders unless we are building a complete integration as we did for Divi and Elementor.

In any case, that is subject to change if both teams can agree on a compatibility layer which would need to be discussed by the developers from both sides.

To get in touch with our developers the following email can be used: support@rankmath.com

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words. So we just need to remove the newlines on this one (\n)? I see we have a very small rankmath integration. I’m currently locating our license and will reach out to them if we need to work together on a resolution. Have a great weekend.

2 Likes

Have a nice weekend too! I think removing the newlines would help, but then rankmath would just concatenate the two cs_elements without a break of any kind which would also not be ideal

I agree with @spedney, @charlie, I moved away from Yoast to Rank Math Pro a couple of years ago and discovered the benefits were significant in SEO terms. How about a Themeco own in-house “Max” version?!

A Max plugin that handles SEO? I can keep it mind, however I’d rather fix the issues with Yoast first and I believe if we do that the rest of the issues with SEO plugins will be fixed or be close to perfection. Better SEO handling might be better in the main repo too, that way our future AI plugin can better hook into this. Thanks for the thoughts I’m in contact with RankMath and will keep everybody updated.

2 Likes

Continuing on the subject of compatibility with RankMath, I think I may have found another issue:

• RankMath sitemaps for pages and posts include references to images on each page, but as far as I can tell only featured images or those directly attached to a page/post are included when we use Cornerstone.

• I made a test page in the standard Wordpress editor and inserted some previously uploaded images in to the page and they all showed up in the image map. With Cornerstone, nothing.

• Testing further, I also tried setting the featured image from within Cornerstone and saving: Still nothing about the image in the sitemap. Then , I switched to the WordPress editor and could see that the featured image was in there even if not showing in sitemap. I then pressed “update” once from wordpress editor and it showed up immediately in the sitemap.

• basically the rank math code which scan the page content is unable to do anything with the shortcodes cornerstone uses to construct pages / image elements

Does anyone have more insight on this subject they can share?