Adding a Header from scratch

Hi I am having difficulty setting up the header. I completed the first step where I added the page as per the Overview page. Then I got confused with the Navigation notes because it must be an older version so the set-up is different.

Also, what freaked me out was that it completely covered my current menu and I cannot lose that menu while I am doing this until I am ready. I am applying for jobs so that’s why. How do I create a menu and assign it when I am ready or at least block it from covering my current menu?

Then I looked at the line above the logo and menu with the + sign in the circle. I clicked on it but got an image marker. Can you tell me what this is for?

Hello Grace,

Thanks for writing in!

Please go to Appearance > Menu. This is where you can create a menu or assign a menu as your primary menu. A primary menu will appear on your site’s header. If you want to create a menu and still adding menu items to it, do not assign this newly created menu as your primary menu.

The “+” sign is to toggle the Header Widgets. You can disable this by going to Cornerstone > Theme Options > Headers > WidgetBar. You must select none to disable the header widgets.

Hope this helps.

Thank you I fixed the + sign issue.

What if I want to add a search element to my header? Then what? I cannot use the current menu? The search element is not on the menu but I have to add it after it is placed correct?

Also my question wasn’t answered about how I can avoid covering over my current Home menu until I figure this out. Should I assign the header to a test page first then replicate it when I am ready to do the Home page?

Why can’t I just add the search element to the menu at the end after contact?

What about my logo? So how do I approach this if I have these 2 elements I want to put in the menu…the logo and the search element?

G

Hello Grace,

If you want to add a search function in your navbar, you can enable the Search function in Cornerstone > Theme Options > Headers > Search. There will be a search menu item added in your menu navigation. Upon clicking the search menu icon, a modal popup will appear.

If you are looking for a search element which the content of the search icon and the search input field, we highly recommend that you upgrade to the Pro theme and use the Header Builder. With the header builder, you can always design your header the way you want it. Having save that, you can also do anything you want with your logo. You can easily display the logo image, style it, etc…

Best Regards.

Hi ruenel. I am using Pro. In the first paragraph, you described the option I am going to use. I am using Header Builder but my question has still not been answered. WHY is the new header copying over my live header? Should I create a new header and try it on a test page first? Do you want me to set up another topic and is that why my question is not being answered? I thought that this was part of the topic creating a Header from scratch?

Thanks.

Hello Grace,

Are you using the custom header? We need to check your settings, I would request you please share the video. I would also request you please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • Exact header name

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

I tried creating a menu from scratch but it was blocking my live menu so I deleted it. I used the uber menu when I first set it up. I hope doing a header from scratch is a lot easier than using that menu. I have an old Mac so I don’t want to use a video because it takes up too much memory. I only have 6 RAM so it’s a pain when I have to close applications to make more room. They don’t even service this Mac anymore. I was supposed to get a new one last year but it got derailed. Anyway, my creds are in the secure note. Thank you prakash.

Hello Grace,

I checked your site it seems that there is no custom Header on the Header builder. If you are creating a custom Header from the Header builder it would preview the in the backend and it would override the current Header in the backend. Please note it would not replace the current header until the custom Header is assigned.

At the moment there is noting on your website which is covering or overriding the Header I would request you, please recreate the header and let us know if there is any issue at your end.

Hope it helps
Thanks

Ok prakash I will create a new one tomorrow and show you what I mean.

G

Hello Grace,

Please let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.