6.3 Beta (RC1) – Header, Page & Layout CSS not output to front end

I noticed this after updating an existing site to 6.3 RC1 – but even after downgrading that site, it appears as if this issue might have been present in the prior Pro version too. So not entirely sure if it’s a beta issue (or I somehow broke this site myself :man_shrugging: ).

I’m also unable to repro on a different test site.

In any event, in the site I had built ~2 years ago, I had a variety of custom CSS that was entered into the Header/Page/Layout CSS editors (not the Global CSS). And while that CSS is still previewing correctly within the Pro builder, the CSS is not making its way to the published site for some reason.

For example, I have a custom background color targeting the body of certain post types. Looks fine in the preview, but uses the Theme Options background color on the published posts (and I can’t find the CSS in the output when inspecting).

I completely disabled all plugins in a staging environment to ensure there wasn’t a conflict there, but no dice. Still a problem.

Not sure if anybody else has seen this on upgrade. I’ll get you login credentials if you want to poke around @Charlie. Thanks!

Not sure if it is related. I have a site using Pro 6.2.9. None of my element CSS is working. As such I tried to add a CSS class to the element and then an ID.

If I view source I can see the element ID and CSS class but when I inspect the elements the classes or id’s don’t show at all. Sometimes Pro doesn’t always put the class or ID where you expect so I often inspect the elements in the front-end when targeting them with my own custom CSS.

Hopefully not high jacking the post but seems like it could be related.

@devinelston Hey great to hear from you. There was a number of syntax issues in Global CSS. It’s a little unfortunate it crashes so ungracefully, but that’s due to the minification. So this exact CSS was fine in Pro5 or an earlier version? I already made the changes to fix your staging site. It was random stuff like // instead of CSS comments.

@urchindesign I added the following to the child theme to discover what was going wrong. If you are still missing CSS after adding this do you want to create another thread from me to look at your site?

add_filter( 'cs_debug_css', '__return_true' );

:man_facepalming: thanks @charlie! Haven’t looked in close detail to the CSS in a bit.

I couldn’t tell you exactly when it stopped working, but it definitely had in a prior version. Sorry for sending you down the rabbit hole.

Hmmm, did you make any other changes than just the Global CSS @Charlie? I brought that all over to my prod site, but the issue still remains there.

Whoops. Nevermind @charlie . Must be a different CSS issue. Apologies :smiley: