Please help | Site down after updating theme

Hi X team, I have tried again to update my X theme. My site was down. How can I update and make sure my site doesn’t go down? I’m on 6.0.4 now. Thank you.

Can’t solve it! Please help with this issue. Don’t send me a instructions to read.

Hello @smart_x,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are facing while updating X Theme.

I suggest you to copy the website over to a staging server and then let’s update X Theme over there. If you face any issue, please let us know and share the login details in secure note so we take a closer look. Benefit of setting up staging server is that in case any issues comes up, same can be looked at without affecting live website.

Thanks.

Ok read the secure note

Hi There,

Just wanted to know if you have sent us the details of a staging setup instead of live site?
seems the url is a live site, if something goes wrong in the setup your site may down.

Please confirm so that we can perform the update action.

Thanks

It is my live site. I have a backup. That’s what I also did each time it went down.

Hi There,

Ok, let’s update your live site then, I understand that updating from outdated version to the latest version can be anxious sometimes. But don’t worry it should work fine as I don’t see any heavy customization you did on the child theme, you might need to adjust a few things after but those are just minor. You can check all the changes, added features, and bug fixes from your current version to the latest version on our Changelog page page.

Before you start updating please CLEAR and DEACTIVATE all your caching plugins (e.g. W3 Total Cache, SG Optimizer, etc) including the server-side caching and CND caching (e.g. CloudFlare, SuperCacher, etc…). This will help us avoid any potential caching related errors.

The first thing to update is the WordPress itself, good thing you already have the latest version (so you can skip this step).

Updating WordPress

Next is the theme, but since you mentioned above that updating the theme puts your site down, I advise that you deactivate all the plugins first (including all that comes from X) before you attempt updating the theme again.

Since the automatic update might not work because your X and Cornerstone is outdated, please follow the Manual X Update Via FTP guide method in the article below.

Updating Your Themes and Plugins

After you successfully updated the X, we need to update the Cornerstone. with the latest X installed, updating the Cornerstone should be easy. On your admin dashboard navigate to Plugins panel, deactivate and delete the current Cornerstone. Then still on the admin dashboard navigate to X > Validation wait for a few seconds and X will automatically re-install a compatible version of Cornerstone (latest X, latest Cornerstone).

After you successfully update X and Cornerstone, then re-validate your X theme. This is to make sure that you can re-install the latest version of Extensions in the next step.

Product Validation

Then to update the Extensions to the latest versions, that are supported by the latest theme and Wordpress:

- Ensure your theme is validated so Extensions can be installed automatically
- Deactivate and delete the extensions, from the plugins panel.
- On the X > Validation > Extensions, locate and re-install the extensions that you need.
- Visit "Plugins" panel in your Dashboard to activate the newly installed version.

Because all of the plugin settings are stored in the database, and because version 2.x will migrate settings from older versions, its safe to use this method of deleting the previous version.

After that update all your 3rd party plugins.

How to Properly Update WordPress Plugins (Step by Step)

Then activate your plugins one by one and see if something is causing an error.

Again please clear all caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Follow this guide and your site should be fine, but always keep a backup of the entire site just to play safe.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

I don’t see the article below about the Manual X Update Via FTP :frowning:

Hi There @smart_x

Basically it’s there on the following link (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62). Also refer to the screenshot below.

When you update with a latest copy of X, it should resolve any corrupted or missing files as well.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

Once I renamed the folder x-updating to folder x site is down again!! :frowning::confounded: :disappointed:

If I undo the renaming form folder x-previous to folder x I’m up and running again.

Almost up and running…I selected all plugins and choose to activate them all. Now I can’t access my dashboard anymore. When I click on Dashboard it starts loading a while and then I get the following error:

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Cleared my cookies. Now can’t access my Admin at all. What a disappointing situation!

Hi There,

That error seems to be coming from convert plus plugin.

Did you deactivate all the plugins first before updating the theme? Like I’d instructed above?

Please provided us FTP credentials so we can take a closer look.

Thanks,

Yes I first deactivated all plugins. Then moved and renamed the folders.

FTP credentials are in the secure note.

Hope we can resolve this matter soon.

Read secure note

Hi There,

Take a look, I was able to update your X and Cornerstone to the latest version without making your site down.

In case you’re wondering what I did, first I log in to your FTP and rename the convertplug folder under /wp-content/plugins this way I was able to deactivate the convertplug without logging in to your admin dashboard.

Now because the convertplug is deactivated, the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS is gone, and that enables me to log in to the admin dashboard. Then I Immediately clear your SG Cache and deactivate it.

Then I go back to FTP and rename the old x folder to x-old and rename the x-updating to x. Then I go back to the dashboard to check and all is well.

Then I deactivated and delete your old Cornerstone, then navigate to X > Validation, and X automatically reinstall the latest Cornerstone (3.2.5) for me.

I also did go ahead and update the Convert Plus and re-activate it, and the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error seems to be solved now.

Please go ahead and continue my instructions above, by updating the Extensions and Plugins.

Keep your SG Cache deactivated for now until you updated everything.

Thanks,

Hi X Team,

Thank you for fixing this. Everything is updated and working smoothly.

So glad it’s solved.

Thanks.

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.