Page not editable with Pro - all of a sudden

Hi, I was working on an Enlish page and when I look at the front end, the page was totally wrong. Some elements are gone. And I cannot approach that page with pro anymore.
I made a new back-up and upgraded PRO to the latest version, but that did not help.

Could you please help me out?

you can compare it with the Dutch HOME page - what it should look like

Thanks so much in advance

Hi @lvandeemter,

Thanks for reaching out.

Are you sure some elements are gone? Or is it different content? Because I checked the source code and it’s not created in the builder, the slider and essential grid is directly added to the content and not the builder.

And when I edit it in the builder, the builder works and I can edit it so there is no problem with the builder. The problem is there is no content and the data could be corrupted. May I know what you did last before this happen? I’m afraid you’ll have to re-do the content for that specific page. Again, it’s still editable so you can add the content back, it’s just empty since the data is corrupted.

Or, if you have a saved template, you can re-import it or restore the site to when it still working (maybe a request to your hosting provider).

Thanks!

HI, sorry to read your answer… This is not the helping at all.
If I write to you that the English HOME page did look the same as the Dutch HOME page … and you write to me : Are you sure some elements are gone. … sorry I am not very happy ! l do not feel I have been taken seriously!

The site is very unstable with WPML plugin - but there is no other way to do it. So I have to carry on.

I was working on the English HOME page to have some margins and quotes corrected - and had to look also on the Dutch page now and then.
What might have been the case is - but I am not sure - is that I was looking on the Dutch home page - in Pro builder: to look at margin sizes etc. and accidentaly pressed the english flag on the right bottom side of the page. Because I know, doing that is getting me in problems before! Changing languages I really need to do outside of Pro - otherwise stuff like this happens. I will put back the latest back-up I have from 2 days ago. And have another day of work gone…

And I cannot work in PRO on the English home page. I do not understand you can.
See photo: dashboard approach - than edit with PRO: give nothing there … very strange, because on front end a lot of things are showing
See photo: on front end - not tab- for working with pro. (all the other pages I can - and before this alle happend I could also on the English home page)
So PRO is throwing stuff away when I switch between languages …

You really should warn people not te create a multi langual wibsite with you theme. Because this is not working at all!!

I have created another website, who needs to go multilangual… I am not happy with that.
My firm has another - big - website that will need an update next year or so, but I do not know if I will work with pro anymore. Because of this.

I love to create websites with Pro, can create beautiful things with it. But multilangual (and in Europe we need to do so) is not working.

If another colleague of you can help me out I would like it very much!

Hi @lvandeemter,

Thanks for the clarification, hence, the real issue is empty page builder and not just some missing elements. But I do like to give my initial investigation on why I couldn’t provide an answer to the issue.

I just based my initial investigation based on your provided information.

1. Page comparison

you can compare it with the Dutch HOME page - what it should look like

But please check this video recording, https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ol6rijbdsfk82z/bandicam%202018-10-20%2002-51-44-242.mp4?dl=0. Nothing is similar on both Dutch and English

1. The presented issue

Some elements are gone.

Not some, but totally empty as your screenshot.

I checked your English and Dutch home page and they looked different so I just thought the content is just overwritten. What I’m asking is just clarification as I’m not really sure what’s not working since there is a content, just different. Maybe I used a bad wording when I asked it, but not’s the tone I’m trying to convey, maybe that’s just how I converse with my friends :slight_smile:

Though, I’ll be more happy to help you and find what’s going on. I just need a starting point of what to check as I’m not really sure what’s going on. Again, as for clarification, your English and Dutch page are really different but with just empty content in the builder, right? I just assumed the content is supposed to be the same, just translated but being corrupted by another content that I’m seeing.

Do you still have the copy of that page as a backup? This doesn’t look like WPML related since it has no capability to change the content (since it’s the user that do the translation manually). I’m afraid, the only way to make this work again is to manually create that page. The builder works without any issue, it’s just that the data is corrupted. OR, if the English page and Dutch page are really the same (since it’s what it should look like), you can save the Dutch page as a template and import that template to the English page, and translate it again.

May I know when this issue usually happens? I can’t reproduce this issue on any of my installations. And I don’t see any other threads about WPML causing data corruption in the builder. Possible with preview loading issue (data are still intact, just won’t load), but not the data corruption (the preview loads but empty).

Thanks, again, sorry for the confusion.

Hi Rad,

Thank you for your answer. I give it another try to explain. Hoping you understand what I mean.

About the movie. Yes, it is the current situation. With me also. But what I ment to say was: that both pages were exactly the same until I changed - working in PRO builder - from the English to the Dutch version. The complete PRO content disappeared - and I did not through it away!! Only some other things remained (grid and form).

It has been corrupted using PRO and WPML together. And please do not tell me that is not the case. I created a lot of websites with PRO and X theme, and they are all good and stable. But now: needing to create a website in more languages … these thing starting to happen.
Creating the translation pages in the first place took me days and days, because I lost content changing between languages many times. I do not have any knowledge of how, but it did.
I found a way to translate pages. I wrote the steps down and need to create new translation pages exactly like that. Doing 1 step wrong - the complete page will disappear (things created with PRO).

Now I have this issue, that content also disappears just working on translated pages - in PRO builder - change from one language to the other. In this case I was working on the English home page and needed to check the margins of that same element on the Dutch page. So I changed languages by using the Dutch flag on the bottom right side. I think that caused the trouble. Normally I go back to the ‘front end’ of the website and change language there and then back to PRO builder. This takes a lot of time of course.

You say that it cannot be WPML related, but it is. I don’t know how. I am not saying that WPML changes the content. But using the WPML plugin makes content created with the PRO builder very unstable somehow. The websites I created that are not using the WPML plugin are all oke.

I have a back-up and I will put all the content back. But a days work ( again ) has been lost.

Hi @lvandeemter,

I’m not saying it’s not the case, it’s just based on my understanding of existing features and functionality of WPML, and also based on its coding. And cornerstone data is stored in post meta where WPML has no connection. It’s just hard to find an explanation or to understand how WPML could do it. All translation is manually done in the builder, and the only integration with WPML is switching the language on both front end and the cornerstone builder. But I’m not saying we should stop investigating it.

When did you change the content? Is it before the data got corrupted? Because this data corruption seems happened after that changed. I’m not saying it’s the cause, but the content is empty after your changes are added.

And I’m glad to know that it’s already changed and overwritten, it’s a good starting point for the investigation now that I’m sure something is off with the content.

Though, I’m still not sure what happened after restoring your backup. Now, both English and Dutch page look similar. I’ll keep on checking about this WPML related corruption on my end. Maybe what I need to know is how to trigger this issue, or what actions should I need to do to reproduce this issue. Switching language in my Pro installation doesn’t reset any content either (with WPML).

Thanks!

Hi Rad , thanks.

I started this morning with a clear page - set back-up back from few days ago.
Everything did look good.
First thing I did was: creating templates of every page.

Than I started with creating good links into the coloured blocks - on the English page.
As soon as I saved the page, everything was gone again…

Than I threw away the English home page - in trash and emptied the trash
I created a copy of the Dutch home page to English.
Looking at the ‘back side’ in PRO creator it looks good. But looking on front end I see only the essential grid etc. stuff…

I did try to do this again, but the results are the same… can you please advice?

Hey @lvandeemter,

In Rad’s previous reply, he said switching languages “doesn’t reset any content either (with WPML)” and that is the opposite of what’s happening on your end. There could be something in your server and/or WordPress setup that is causing the issue.

When I opened your Dutch Home Page in the Content Builder and then switched to the English Page using the Flag Icon, the Content Builder (English version) is empty. I tried loading the NL HOME page template in there and I got the saving success message but it actually didn’t save so you still have the testimonial slider in the front-end.

I tested further by creating a new test page. The page I tested was first created in English and then I used the Dutch Flag Icon in the builder and it successfully created the Dutch page however, the issue’s still the same. I’ve edited the Dutch page and the saving success message popped up but it actually didn’t save.

The usual cause of this is caching but factors like low memory could also cause this. Would you mind clearing all caches and completely uninstall your caching plugin. Please contact the caching plugin developer to learn how to do that.

Please also deactivate all third party plugins while we investigate so changes we make will take effect immediately.

Also give us FTP access credentials.

Thanks.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will do so and let you know the information you need.
i come back to you

Thanks for testing. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Christian, I will send you the info in a secure note.

I uninstalled all the plugins - except of the WPML of course. I very much hope you can find something that helps us. We have another website that needs to be translated and I am scared to start with WPML before this issue has been solved.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hey @lvandeemter,

The saving issue was actually caused by 2 factors. The 1st one was caused by a third party plugin and the 2nd was caused by the Essential Grid in your content. Please see my actual investigation in the secure note.

Please activate the third party plugins 1 by 1 to see what plugin was causing the saving issue.

For the Essential Grid conflict, please try going to Ess. Grid > Global Settings and enable JS To Footer. If this does not resolve the issue, please try using The Grid instead.

Thanks.

Thanks for your help!

You’re welcome.

Today I wanted to make some corrections to the website. And I turned from the English to the Dutch language - the home page. Now I see that the Home page of the English site has gone … and turned into the Dutch home page…

Please can you help me again… I am becomming desparate … we need to have this website in the air. But all the time I need to correct / add something the site is giving trouble with the languages.
Thank you in advance

I turned off the Multilangual ACF plugin - that caused a lot of trouble in this theme as it seemd. The Essential Grid Global settings have been changed as you suggested.
But stil I experience difficutlties…

Hey @lvandeemter,

I experienced the issue. This has nothing to do with Essential Grid now because the translation works. The only problem now is editing the default language overrides the other languages too.

Regretfully, this has something to do with the inner workings of Cornerstone (Pro Content Builder). What I could do is post this to our issue tracker to let our development team know of the situation.

For now, a workaround would be to save your page as a template so you won’t lose your page styles. Just do the other language translation once you’re done with the page design.

Please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks.

Thank you Christian,

This is a great shock for me as you will understand. I can only hope your marketing team will explain on front, that this theme is not for multi language websites.

I do not know what to do now. I have to inform my superiors, and they will not be pleased with this answer. Although I appreciate your honesty. A website is something that grows with the business… it should show the heart of it and be able to flow with the changes… Pro cannot do that without loosing former work…

You really leave me in a bit of dispare here.

When a Dutch page is ready for that moment - it is possible of course that the next month it need some changes. Then I loose the English version of it … pfff
Please let the team hurry with a solution!

Since I changed the settings of Essential Grid - with you help / advice - I do not get the grids working again…
Can you please advice what I do wrong?
If I click on - the Dutch Home page - case studies. (see picture) - the grid cannot find the project-page. (nothing changed there)…
Also the product - post pages cannot be found

Hello @lvandeemter,

Please be advise that the grid will no longer display any preview when you are editing the page.
You will only have something like this:

Hope this helps.

Sorry, no that is not what I mean.

I will look into it myself once again and come back to you.
Tnx