Footer Builder and AWS

So I have been doing a lot of troubleshooting. I rolled back to the last stable version of Pro and it works perfectly. Then I updated to the first 2.0 and it broke. There seems to be an issue with the header and the footer builder in the new 2.0 and WP Offload AWS. Can you please confirm or provide a workaround? I would like to be able to use Pro 2.0 but unfortunately also need to be able to utilize AWS.

thanks

justin

I believe I fixed it. I think it has something to do with the way the new V2 an Header/Footer builder output dynamically generated CSS. When I clear the cache in settings for Pro it seems to be working.

thoughts?

thanks

justin

Unfortunately, that worked but now does not and I have to revert to version 1.2.7

Hi there,

How about cloning your site in staging, the one has older version and another is with latest. So we could compare what’s changed. Then provide the credentials for the staging.

Thanks!

This has got to be the worse customer support I have ever had. I troubleshooted my issue without any help from Themeco and when I find the issue and tell you what is going on you want me to spend additional time and resources in order to help you guys do your job. I am very sorry to come across anger but you guys broke this when you implemented the V2 caching. How can you not figure out what is going on? I used to buy this theme for projects because when you broke something on updates you knew how to fix them. Guess I will start to go elsewhere. This is extremely frustrating. This has been 2 days of spotty response from you at best. Please tell me how to either disable the dynamic css portion that your V2 so that I may keep my sites updated and secure.

thanks

justin

Hey Justin,

We’re sorry you’re frustrated. But, it is necessary to copy your site to staging so we could freely do some testing which involves removing customizations and plugins, testing settings, etc… If creating a staging site is not possible, we could troubleshoot in your live site but please note that troubleshooting might override your progress. We also would need to test the case with Pro and WP Offload AWS plugin enabled only to completely eliminate other conflicts. With that said, please update your site to Pro 2 and also give us FTP access.

Regarding V2 Elements Style Cache, it is recommended to clear the cache. For more details, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-site-frontend-appears-broken-after-updating/24859

I hope you’ll understand the process. We want to help and know the cause of the issue.

It is very frustrating because it seems to be isolated to the Footer builder. Something is overwriting the img. I have create 2 sites. One for 1.2.7 and one for 2.0.1. I do not use FTP so hopefully that isn’t an issue. I will supply login in secure message. And I tried deactivating all the plugins and still happens.

Ok so a possible update as I hunt down what is going on. I tried an experiment and created a global block using V2 image and Classic Image and everything looks great when I am in editor. Once I insert the Global Block in the footer or on a page the image using classic reverts to the wp-content instead of AWS and breaks and the V2 image displays perfectly. Could there be in issue in the way that both the header/footer builder and Global Blocks are saving and rewriting the images? thanks

Hi there,

I’m sorry if I’m requesting another staging, it’s the only way for us to investigate it since I can’t reproduce this issue on my installation. Plus, it’s something unknown to us, especially how the CDN works. The CDN shouldn’t modify the internal URLs of Wordpress, rather, it changes the URL only after the output is created/generated. So it shouldn’t have any problem even if the builder or editor inserted the original URL.

I created a sample footer in staging site with 2.0.1 and inserted a global block, the image URLs aren’t replaced or overwritten, they are still from CDN. Then I inserted and standard element and it does insert a URL with /wp-content/, I’ll continue checking in that area. And please provide your FTP login credentials, it could be related to wp_get_attachment_image_src()

Thanks!

I have supplied 2 sites one with 1.2.7 and one with 2.0 and the login credentials and explained I do not use ftp. This issue seems to be isolated to the footer builder and it overwriting the media address. I have even tried to hardcode the images using them as backgrounds withe the AWS address and it looks fine in editor until I save and then refresh and then it is wp-content. Thanks

Is there a way to temporarily disable the dynamically generated CSS for the footer by adding a function to the child theme so that I can test to see if that is causing the issue? It seems to be isolated to when the footer is saved and then the page is refreshed. thanks

Hi there,

This isn’t related to the dynamic CSS. It’s happening because of an incompatibility with Offload S3. The Header and Footer builders store all the data used to display content in the_content field of a WordPress custom post type.

When you enable the “Rewrite File URLs” setting for Offload S3 it will take CDN urls and convert them to regular media URLs anytime a post is saved. This is why if you save and reload the builder the image no longer displays, and also why it doesn’t show on the front end. Offload S3 is setup to do the inverse, so when the post is prepared for display the URLs are converted back to their CDN version. For some reason this is failing in the footer builder. The Header and Footer builders does load things a bit different than a regular post. We’re not doing anything unconventional or outside what the WordPress APIs allow for, but Offload S3 just isn’t setup to handle this way. A few things were changed in this update to prepare for Global Blocks which is likely why it stopped working in 2.0.

Offload S3 is not a plugin we integrate with, nor can we guarantee support for it. However, there may be a workaround we can implement to get this working. I would need you to provide SFTP (or FTP) credentials to continue.

Thank you for that update. That explains why the Global Block does not show the classic image within the block does not show but it us weird that the V2 image does show when I insert the Global Block into the footer. I will setup FTP and include credentials in a secure note.

Will this mean that moving forward updates and enhancements are not going to work with Offload S3? I know that you are not doing anything not allowed and that you cannot configure Pro for every plugin but I thought that Offload S3 was a pretty big player. And if not support for that do you guys recommend another way to utilize AWS for media? Thoughts?

thanks again

justin

It’s just not a plugin we generally test with nor do we officially integrate with, so there could be issues in the future with updates on either side and we’ll just have to handle them case-by-case. I’m hoping to find a fix here that we can get working immediately on your site. If it’s possible to make the fix an official part of Pro, we’re happy to do that as well to avoid future conflicts.

I tried logging in with those FTP details but it went to an empty folder. Could you update that so I can access the WP install? Thanks!

thank you. I think I fixed it. Sorry I do not use FTP. it was going into the user folder not the subdomain

I’ve tried reconnecting a few times but looks like it’s still going to that folder? Could you double check once more? Thanks!

Like I said absolute newbie with FTP. I think I got it right this time. new secure note coming sorry

I’m in, thanks! I’ll post an update here when I have more info.

Thank you and thanks for the patience with the FTP.

Thanks for the help with this. Offload S3 provides some filters to integrate with custom forms of content. I’ve installed a build of Pro that uses those filters to process Headers, Footers, Global Blocks, and Content. This functionality will be in the next release.