Enable Native WordPress Responsive Images - Forth Time Lucky?

I notice instead of answering my support ticket regarding responsive images it was deleted.

Was the point to complex or are we not allowed to point out flaws or limitations? Is an open and honest community that acts with integrity? It is concerning I even have to ask.

Once again, only if you know the answer then respond - if you do not then pass upwards to developers. Do not try to helpful when you do not know - it is neither helpful or constructive.

The question again, will Pro2/X6 be updated in the very short term to gracefully disable WP native responsive images, allowing us to reenable as desired in the same way X5/X4 does?

To explain yet again, a simple google search has countless blogs explaining - website speed it is #1 factor customer bounce rate, loosing potential million’$. The #1 element impacting any website speed - images.

I know I can use visibility breakpoints with Pro2/X6. However, Pro2/X6 disable WP native responsive images on plugins like WooCommerce. The result is desktop size images are displayed on mobile devices when they do not need to be - impacting both the enduser experience and potential lost revenue.

X5/X4 gracefully disabled responsive images, allowing them to be reenabled - demonstrating it can be done.

Instead of explaining or acknowledgement of this - my last ticket was deleted.

To reiterate from the fist time I asked this question I can see a willingness to help but a fundamental lack of Pro2/X6 product knowledge in this area.

1. I was incorrectly told WP native responsive images are not disabled in Pro2/X6 - when they are. https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/enable-native-wordpress-responsive-images/43293/2

2. I provided the code block which disabled the WP native responsive images, instead of acknowledgement - I get a “you’re welcome” message. https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/enable-native-wordpress-responsive-images/43293/3

3. I follow up again, slightly more helpful but not clear.

4. In response https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/enable-native-wordpress-responsive-images-update/43961/5

I’m pointed to https://xthemetips.com/size-matters-the-x-image-guide/730/ and told the method is not reliable. Demonstrating a lack of Pro2/X6 knowledge. The code relates to and works perfectly with X5/X4, it what I currently use - helpfully provided to me some 2 years ago on the old support forum. It does not work with Pro2/X6 and is the reason I first raised the ticket.

Hey Strobley,

Your ticket was not deleted. A colleague forwarded it directly to our core developer for feedback. That is not the correct process though so I’ll let my colleague know. If a case needs feedback from our development team, it needs to be posted in our internal issue tracker and a message must be left in order to let the thread poster know that it needs to be reviewed. We could not guarantee a timeline as to when it would be addressed though.

For now, regarding the WordPress Responsive Image feature, it was and still is disabled in X (also in Pro). That is because there are a lot of things that needs to be taken into consideration in supporting that feature of WordPress.

The article posted currently returns a 404 so I’m not sure what code was posted in there.

To enable the responsive image feature of WordPress back, you can do so by removing the filter that disables the feature. Here’s a sample code to be pasted in your child theme’s functions.php.

add_action('after_setup_theme', 'enable_srcset_in_x', 11);

function enable_srcset_in_x() {
	remove_filter( 'wp_calculate_image_srcset', '__return_false' );
}

I’ve just tested that and it works in my staging site. Just note that it will only work for images inside the Content of Classic Elements because the HTML Image tag is posted in the WordPress Content that way.

Lastly, please note that though snippets are helpful, they are subject to change without prior notice and there’s no guarantee of their compatibility in the future. We also have enabled what was disabled in the theme by design. This is considered as theme modification and issues that might arise from this and further enhancements would be outside the scope of our support.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Unfortunately this code does work for native Wordpress Responsive Images and plugins like WooCommmerce.

The article was one you guys provided to me in an earlier ticket.

I can only assume after I reported it no longer works with X6/Pro2 is author ( the very awesome @michaelbourne ) took it down - which is the correct thing to do.

Getting working in Classic Elements is of little to no use. As I explained - I know I can use visibility breakpoints in the X6/Pro2 builders - not ideal, but it’s a work around.

This issue is with all native Wordpress Responsive Images, i.e. image added through the native Wordpress HTML Text Editor, and more importantly plugins like WooCommmerce - which is inevitably image heavy with all the product images. This code does not re-enable native Responsive Images for theses. Please feel free to double check.

Please let me know if there is any update from the Developers.

Hey @strobley,

This re-enables the srcset of WordPress. It’s not just for the Classic Elements. I’m sorry I thought it’s understood when I previously said:

I realized it sounded confusing. Sorry about that.

Everytime I post a code here in the forum, I make sure that it works. I double checked it and now made a video showing that it works.

Please test the code without other customizations and third party plugins to ensure there’s no conflict.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.