Auto update doesn't work - open_basedir error

Hello,

Problem 1:
My X Pro does not auto update itself. Eventhough it shows “Latest Version Available 1.2.0”, I don’t receive any update notification where I can process the update.

I have already tried the mentioned solution on this post https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/autoupdate-not-working/3372/14
however nothing changed. Also purged all the caches, but no change.

I know that my hosting provider block some foreign IPs, I have already added “theme.co” as exception to the firewall but still no change.

Problem 2:
I receive this error in admin,

Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/data/www/22490/orientalniportal_cz/www/wp-content/themes/index.php/style.css) is not within the allowed path(s): (/data/www/22490/orientalniportal_cz) in /data/www/22490/orientalniportal_cz/www/wp-includes/class-wp-theme.php on line 243

I have PHP 7.1.10 and latest Wordpress version.

Could you please have a look?

Hey there,

Please try temporarily disabling open_basedir server setting. You can contact your host for that matter.

You can also manually update. See manual update instructions at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62

Thanks.

Hello Christian,
Thank you for the prompt response but this doesn’t solve any of my problems.

I am on a shared hosting plan hence no change can be done to open_basedir server settings. Before updating to X Pro I didn’t have this issue. I had a similar issue on one of my Opencart stores on the same hosting, and support team of that theme provided me a line of code which I paste to config.php and my issue was solved. Could you please provide me something like that.

I know that I can manually update but I would like to use auto update function as every other customer. For last 6 months I do manually update X theme and I don’t want to do it anymore.

Could you please have a look once more and help me on solving the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
DYK

Hi there,

I am not sure regarding the previous experience you had regarding this, but for this particular problem, there is nothing we can do. This should be changed from the server side.

If your server uses the Apache the httpd.conf file is the place to add the information. If you use something like Plesk there is an option for that.

You will need to contact your hosting service provider and give them the link below:

Als send them the error, this error can be solved only by the server administrator and if you use a shared hosting and do not have access to server settings you need to contact them to follow up the case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Christopher,

I have made a little bit more research on this and found out this topic from X forum.

It’s the exact same problem I have on a same setup. X theme, multisite and w3 total cache.
Once I disable W3 Total Cache plugin, error disappeared. I will discuss the issue with W3 Total Cache support too.
However it is still so strange that in whole internet there are only 3 instances regarding “wp-content/themes/index.php/style.css” (which is really strange directory path due to /index.php/style.css) and all related to X theme.

Anyway, I will try to solve this by myself.

However, could you please respond my other issue regarding auto update problem of X Pro theme. Since day 1 I have this problem. I can auto update all other plugins and themes except X Pro! I don’t get any notification to my dashboard at all. I know I can update manually, but I would like to solve the problem instead of workaround.

Could you please assist me on this. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the additional information. We wish you the best getting it working out with your host.

To shed some more light on why auto updates might not appear, this is a problem related to running multisite. Theme code never runs at a network level. So when WordPress checks for updates, the logic used to insert the X (or Pro) theme update information is not included. When you open a site dashboard where X is running, it can do an update check and store the update data in a transient WordPress uses to cache what updates are available. This results in some strange situations where it detects an update, but that update disappears by the time you to to the network dashboard to update. This may be part of what you’re experiencing. The only remedy for this to ensure 100% reliability would be developing a network activated plugin to validate sites and manage extensions. It hasn’t been a priority for us because this issue isn’t brought up very often and it’s a big undertaking.

TL;DR; It’s not possible for a theme to provide automatic updates on multisite. They can only be properly served via a network activated plugin. We recommend updating manually when using multisite.

I am sure there are plenty people out there that are using multisite and would be grateful for an easier way to update. It’s a really frustrating process.

Thanks for your feedback @AugustIvy, we do hear you and are aware for the people effected it is a frustrating problem. It is on our rader for in the future, but as Alexander mentioned above it isn’t currently a high priority due to other developments.

Thanks!