WPML cornerstone bug

Hi,

I’m having some issues with WPML and Pro. I am using the latest versions of all the plugins.I was able to translate one page before this started to happen randomly.

When translating a page using the little flags in cornerstone (as mentioned in the forum) it will redirect me to a completely different post or it shows the aggressive caching/plugin conflict pop-up.

There seems to be no clear answer on the forum on whether we can use the latest version or if we have to downgrade WMPL and its components. And whether this is an issue that you are working on fixing in the immediate future or not.

Thanks !

1 Like

Hi @5atchmin,

Thanks for reaching out.

This seems to be caused by string translation, and something overriding the cornerstone manual translation. The workaround that I can recommend is re-creating your contact page (export template and import to another so you don’t have to create it from scratch).

Then please rename your current contact us page and let us know which so we could further investigate it. And please don’t delete the current credentials as this would help us find the exact cause of the issue.

Thanks!

Hi @Rad

Thanks for your reply.

I follow the steps above and re-created the page. When I try to translate the new page I get the following error

When I try and translate other page its also hit and miss.

I notice that I can modify the translated pages - just the preview does not work.

Let find a solution to this soon :slight_smile:

Hey @5atchmin,

We’re currently investigating the issue. For now, it’s best that you copy your site to a staging server then once done try downgrading WPML and other WPML addons in your live site to the following:

• WPML Multilingual CMS - 4.0.6
  • WPML String Translation - 2.8.6
  • WPML Translation Management - 2.6.7

Please then give us WP Admin and FTP access to your staging site so there’s no risk of breaking your site while we investigate.

Thanks.

Hey @christian_y,

It’s going to take me a day to set up the staging server side. I will reach out here when it is ready.

Just to make sure -

1. the older versions of WPML does not break the PRO builder ?

2. Can we use the string translation function in WPML if we downgrade ?

3. Is this an issue that you plan to fix soon (ie next point release) and ensure full compatibilty between PRO and WPML ?

Many thanks.

Hello Satcheen,

Thanks for updating in!

1.) The older version of WPML seems to work with the builder with no issues.

2.) Yes, you can.

3.) Our developers are already investigating this issue. Yes, full compatibility support of the latest WPML version will be fixed.

Please bear with us.

1 Like

Hey @RueNel & @christian_y

Thanks for the concise answers !

I read that X is fully compatible on the WMPL site, so i assumed you guys were working on a solution for PRO - glad to know you’re on it. Sooner the better :wink:

1 Like

You are most welcome Satcheen.

Hello @RueNel

So after downgrading I am still having the same bug concerning the page I mention in my secure note. After duplicating the page and following the steps of @Rad I am receiveing the agressive caching/pluging conflict notice. The page itself is fine on the live site.

The developper console - shows a 404 error saying jQuery can’t find the page requested.

For now I will remove the WPML from the live site till there is a working solution.

Hi Satcheen,

I’d like to access your original site too and so I can compare it with your staging. Your current staging’s language permalink isn’t fully functional, especially this part

I also created a TEST X page and it’s working, could you try re-creating your contact page again? Then I’ll investigate the existing issue with that original Contact Us page, it’s due WPML string translation and it could be forcing it.

Based on existing information, it appears it has 404 and 401 issue which might be related to hosting configuration or security. Have you tried disabling the mod_rewrite and test it again? Though, that shouldn’t be related to translation.

Thanks!

Hello @Rad

The issue you’re seeing in the screenshot is because I have forced a password server side on the staging site. Basically the php functions as normal so if you choose that option, it will work.

How did you make the translation - what steps & in what order ?

Did you use the string translator at any point ?

I removed WPML on the live site. Given that the downgraded version also gave me troubles.

I’ll add the credentials back - let me know if you want me to add WPML again.

Hi Satcheen,

Sorry for the confusion, what I was referring is just create a new page for your contact page while we’re investigating the main issue. If you do string translation again to that newly created contact us page then it’s just going to be the same.

What I did is just added a page and published it, then edited it in the builder. Then within the builder, switched to another language to translate your content.

I’m still investigating the original issue (string translation).

Thanks!

@Rad sounds good ! Thanks for the update

Hi Satcheen,

I’ve been testing this on my installation and I can’t reproduce any of this even I did the string translation, the builder immediately override it once I saved it in the builder.

In your case, your contact us translation is empty (WPML > Translations > Contact Us), and when it’s empty it is of course default to the original language. Which is why it displays the English version. So all in all, it’s only normal.

What I can’t confirm is if your builder is empty or not, because once I switched it to another language it redirects the preview on this https://staging.thangka-mandala.com/fr/mahakala-protector/ instead of the actual contact us page. Hence, I assume the builder for that page language is also empty, and so displays the English version. That’s weird and I can’t find the cause of that redirection, so far it will really display English version of that page since it’s empty.

Now I deleted the WPML plugins so I could install my own copies, but it won’t allow me to upload. Please provide your FTP login credentials so I could upload it through there and continue testing. Now, the issue is not the translation, but the redirection in the builder. You have to add something in the builder so it won’t default to English.

Thanks!

Hey @Rad,
As I mentioned earlier. I have a custom set-up server - so giving you ftp access is complicated.

Is the upload via the Wordpress plugin page not working ?

• this is due to my password protection server side.

I mostly did that so that search engines won’t index the staging site but I can disable it if is causing you issues !

let me know !!

Hi Satcheen,

In that case, I can’t install any of my plugins. Could you try installing these versions?

WPML Multilingual CMS - 4.2.6
WPML String Translation - 2.10.4
WPML Translation Management - 2.8.5

Then I’ll continue checking :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hey @Rad

I added those versions to the staging site. Turns out I had improper permissions on the languages folder which was why the error was occurring.

Its been fixed you should be able to upload plugins normally now.

PS - thanks for all the hard work !! :smile:

Hi Stacheen,

It’s indeed an issue with 4.2.7, I installed the provided versions above and the builder starts working. Then another issue is redirection caused by the conflict with SEO Yoast and WPML 4.2.7. After downgrading your WPML and disabling SEO Yoast, it started working properly.

It’s not the issue of the builder but in between them and the builder just got affected.

The summary for the workaround,

1. Disable all cache feature and plugin (I didn’t get immediate results due to this), not permanent but while you’re fixing it then it should be inactive
  2. Downgrade to these versions

WPML Multilingual CMS - 4.2.6
WPML String Translation - 2.10.4
WPML Translation Management - 2.8.5

1. If you wish to use Yoast SEO plugin then please downgrade your WPML to these, else, you can still use the above versions.

WPML Multilingual CMS - 4.0.6
WPML String Translation - 2.8.6
WPML Translation Management - 2.6.7

You must re-create your contact us page too as it’s now empty, not sure what caused that but not happening on my installation. That’s another reason why it’s also switching to default language since it’s empty (no translation).

Thanks!

Hey @Rad

thanks for the info.

Just one final question - can I use the string translation when I use either method provided above?

Or do I only use the pro builder language switcher method?

thanks again !

Hey Stacheen,

WPML’s String Translation is best used for simple WP content and will work for Classic Elements provided that you downgrade WPML to the mentioned versions.

If you’re going to use V2 Elements, you need to use the language switcher.

Thanks.