WP Tiled Galleries bunching up on page load + menu not working on gallery pages

Hi, recently (after the last update to X - I’m running version 5.2.2) the WordPress tiled galleries on my client’s site have been appearing to be “bunched up” (or incompletely loaded) when the page initially loads. By this, I mean that only a slice of the top of each image is showing, and they are all stacked up so the images are not fully displayed or visible. I don’t see a way to attach a screenshot to show you what I’m seeing, so if I’m missing something and you need me to do this, please advise. The gallery display straightens out when the page is refreshed, but no potential customer is going to tolerate this. The site is patmoorephotography.com and everything is up to date. I haven’t made any customizations to X that required a child theme.

Another issue I’m facing is that the WordPress carousel is no longer working on my galleries. I get the typical (and very annoying) WordPress behavior of the enlarged image opening in a blank page and having to return to the gallery page by using the back button on the browser.

The third issue is that I (or any visitor to my site) get trapped on a gallery page, as the gallery menu item is not working on the gallery pages. The other links in the menu do work on any page as far as I can tell, but on any gallery page, the Image Galleries menu item does not expand to reveal the submenu, so you can’t go to another gallery from the gallery page you’re on. Here is one gallery page where you can observe this behavior, but you will find it on all of them: https://patmoorephotography.com/image-galleries/water-images/

Thank you for your assistance with these issues.
Hannah

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in!

1.) It appears that you have installed Jetpack. Please deactivate the Photon module because it is causing the image issue. To know more about Photon and its pros and limitations, please check it here: https://developer.wordpress.com/docs/photon/

2.) This issue seems already resolved. I can see that you have updated to the latest version and clicking on any image will display a lightbox with a X icon to be able to close and go back to the page.

3.) I have checked your menu and the submenu is expanding. You can check out my screenshot below:

Are you using CloudFlare or may have installed a caching plugin like WordFence, W3 Total Cache or WP Super Cache? Please keep in mind that after doing every updates, always remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel, thanks for your attention to these issues. It’s very interesting that you’ve gotten the results that you have. Yes, Jetpack is what is giving me the tiled galleries I’m using on this site, but I only activated Photon yesterday in hopes it would help the situation. I just turned it back off and see no difference in the site’s behavior. I’ve cleared the browser, W3 Total Cache and Cloudflare caches, and that made no difference. The menu is still not expanding when I’m on a gallery page as it did for you. And the lightbox you saw should have been a WordPress carousel. I’m working with the site in Firefox, and when checking these issues again in Safari and Chrome, I see it working without issues. Firefox does have a pretty aggressive cache, so I cleared it a second time and now I can see that things are operating normally. Thanks for the nudge to try these things all over again! It’s so easy to get discouraged and not to try—just…that…one…last…time… :slight_smile:

Hello There,

We’re glad that you have test the site in other browsers. In most cases, caching has a big factor on why an issue has arise when you check something. Well, as always you are most welcome. If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.