Wordpress Site Critical Error after X theme & Cornerstone Update

Updated X theme version, used link to update / activate Cornerstone - now WP-Admin will not load
Deleted old cornerstone/X theme folders via FTP and downloaded most updated versions
Using X theme Version: 9.0.8 and most up to date version of Cornerstone via WP-admin link so that website content will display.
Unfortunately, once I use the link in WP-admin to activate and install Cornerstone, it will break WP-admin resulting in a critical wordpress error.
I can get back into WP-admin by deleting or renaming Cornerstone, but then the site content will not display.

Hi @zookini,

Thanks for reaching out!

I suspect that the theme files is corrupted that’s why when you activate the cornerstone plugin it will crash the website. Please try the recommended steps below.

• Uninstall/Delete Cornerstone plugin
  • Go to the theme page and activate (any themes)
  • Delete currently X theme installed
  • Download the latest X theme in your themeco dashboard
  • Upload the fresh copy of X theme to the website then activate it
  • Install again the cornerstone plugin

Only if none of that helps, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP Access

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Hi, I tried the method you suggested and deleted X theme, then installed a fresh copy of X theme and installed Cornerstone. The issue still persists.

I sent you a secure note.

Hello Salar,

Thanks for updating in! You are having the issue because you have exhausted your PHP memory limit. You may need to increase your PHP memory limit to at least 256MB or 512MB. Kindly check this out:

By the way, you can check your PHP memory limit in Tools > Site Health > Info > Server.

We would highly recommend that you create a staging site. The staging site is very useful because you can test drive any X updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site unlike what is happening at the moment. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed with the update on the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Thank you for the fast support, I updated the PHP memory limit from 64 to 512 using the hosting cPanel and the issue seems to be fixed. Excellent!

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.