Wordpress File Permissions

Hello, I recently installed the X theme, but I cannot install any of the extensions. I am getting the error message, “Your WordPress file permissions do not allow plugins to be installed.”

I’ve tried many things before creating this thread:

  • Changing permissions through SSH: no luck, my server does not allow SSH connections.
  • My server did this for me, but it still doesn’t work: “changed permissions for wp-content directory to 775, ‘httpd’ group will be allowed to write.”
  • I tried adding some lines of code to wp-config.php (no difference–then removed for security):
    define('FTP_USER', 'my-ftp-username'); define('FTP_PASS', 'my-ftp-password'); define('FTP_HOST', 'ftp.my-site.example.com');
  • I noticed that my server is running PHP 5.2.14, and I read in one post that it should be 5.6+. My server admin seems to disagree. Can anyone confirm?

Anyways, I would appreciate any additional help.

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! After reviewing the information provided above, I would try checking with your hosting provider on this particular issue as it sounds like something related to your setup is causing this. Typically, this is due server configuration problems with permissions errors. Additionally, your host will be able to diagnose things much better due to the fact that they have a more complete view of your account and can work behind the scenes with you. If the problem you are experiencing persists after working with your host, don’t hesitate to let us know and we will be happy to assist you. Any relevant information that you can share with us from your host is also greatly appreciated as it will help us to better ascertain the source of the problem.

Meanwhile, please check out these related links: https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions, https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/05/proper-wordpress-filesystem-permissions-ownerships/, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18352682/correct-file-permissions-for-wordpress

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks RueNel, yes, it was a host problem, now resolved.

Awesome! Thanks for confirming. Glad to hear you got things working!