Width Controls in Customizer Layout & Design Not Working

I’m having problems with the Layout and Design portion of the Customizer. Specifically, the Site Max Width, the Site Width and the Content Width all appear to be inoperative. I’ve tried repeatedly changing the sliders from their minimums all the way to the maximums but doing so makes no difference in the appearance either in the Customizer or while viewing the page in a separate browser tab.

I noticed that when changing these sliders the Publish button remains disabled as though it doesn’t recognize that a change has been made. The Publish button only becomes enabled when I change from Fullwidth layout to Boxed or vice-versa. Still, making this layout change does not change the widths (except insofar as the sidebar appears or disappears).

I’m having this problem with Integrity, Renew & Icon (have not tried Ethos).

I’ve tried using both the default page template as well as the “Blank – Container | Header, Footer” template. Still have the problem; only time any width changes is when the sidebar appears or is removed.

No caching, Jetpack deactivated. WP, theme, plugins all up to date.

Initially, I had only a single page in this brand-new site so I added another page to see if that made a difference. Surprisingly, it did. The width controls started working once this additional page had been added. (But that new page is not the one shown in the Customizer. My Welcome page, the Front page, is still the one that was displayed.) Next, I tried sending that second page to the Trash. When I did that the width controls stopped working. So, I tried restoring that page. Now, even with both pages the sliders all fail to work.

Currently, the width controls are broken. How can I get these width controls working reliably?

Hi There,

Thanks for the explanation, but I am confused. Could you please provide a mockup/screenshot to clarify how you want it to look like.

Thanks

I haven’t decided exactly how I want the layout to look yet. Part of the problem is that I cannot even make a change to see how the layout will change with different settings.

Notice that in this screen shot the width sliders are all set to near minimum values:

Now, look at this screen shot and notice that all sliders are set to maximum values. And notice that there is no difference in the layout between the two. The problem is that the sliders are not functioning. I have used these sliders in the past and usually when I make a change in the Customizer I immediately see a change in the preview. That is not happening now.

Hi There,

Please use X > Theme Options > Instead.

Hope it helps

Now, I’m confused. Are you saying that I need to switch from the Pro theme to the X theme? Are you saying these width options don’t work with the Pro theme?

Hi There,

My bad.

I Meant: On your Wordpress top admin bar > Pro > Theme Options

Instead of Customizer.

Hope it clarifies.

Thanks

Oh, I see. The Pro > Theme Options alternative does work for me.

It is still confusing that the some things in the Customizer work but other things (widths—and what else?) don’t work. I guess I should be using Pro > Theme Options for everything?

Hi Dave,

That is correct, you should be using Theme Options from now on.

Hope it helps

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.