Website Display Changed + Cumulative Layout Shift

Something strange happened with my website where all of a sudden the way it displayed changed. Plus I started receiving extremely high CLS scores in Google Pagespeed Insights.

My website is https://www.garrettandwalker.com

There’s additional padding above the content & sidebar now.

Also, the sidebar on desktop is blue but instead of the space to the right of it matching the sidebar it’s now white.

And on the left side of the main content it used to be white and now it’s blue. It’s like the blue and white reversed.

If you could help me fix these display issues I would sincerely appreciate it. Also, my google webmaster tools is giving me an error stating that my Cumulative Layout Shift is too high. I need a way to fix this. Thank you for all of your help.

Hello Jason,

Thanks for writing in! Does the issue happened after the updates? Please check out this documentation instead:

After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches since you are using WP Rocket so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors. And please clear your browser cache too. You may use private browsing mode in testing your site to make sure that you are viewing the latest codes from the updates and not the cached version in your browser.

This links might help:

Best Regards.

Thank you for your reply, I cleared the cache and browser cache as well as followed your steps and it’s not a cache issue. Could you take a look at my website and see the padding and the issues? I’ve viewed on private browsers, safari & chrome and they all appear the same way.

And I didn’t see anything with reference to Cumulative Layout Shift. This is going to be a ranking issue for google and with my website having an issues where the CLS is way too high, I need help. In reaching out to google they say it is theme based. Thank you for your help.

Hey Jason,

If this is not a caching issue, it’s most probably an optimization issue. Please do the rest of the troubleshooting steps below to determine if the issue is really coming from our theme and not by 3rd party factors.

1. TESTING FOR THEME RELATED ISSUE
  2. TESTING FOR PLUGIN CONFLICT (DISABLE ALL 3RD PARTY PLUGINS TEMPORARILY)
  3. THEME UPDATE
  4. CHILD THEME
  5. CSS/JS CUSTOMIZATION
  6. INCREASING PHP MEMORY LIMIT
  7. DISABLING CACHE
  8. DISABLING CDN
  9. VERSION COMPATIBILITY

Only if none in the troubleshooting steps work, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • FTP access

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.