Web accessiblity issues

Thanks, you all are so helpful, I am having trouble passing the WEBAIM accessiblilty with two aspects of the site I hope you can assist with. www.open-nys.org is my site

  1. The header of the page - the logo - is wrapped in an <h1> but has no text, it is used to swap in an image. Without text (even hidden text) screen readers are not happy with that.

  2. There is a container that ‘flips’ to reveal more, not positive what you call it. When you insert an image, even an image you have given ALT text in wordpress, for some reason that alt text is missing. These all cause errors.

Thanks for your help.

I used the <h1 tag, for my first sentence, whoops, the forum took it literally.

Hey there,

  1. Please go to Settings > General and ensure you have set a Site Title.

  2. I don’t see a flipping element in your home page. Please give us a screenshot and if it’s not in your home page, please give us the exact URL.

This forum uses Markdown so if you’re going to display HTML or any code, you can wrap it in single backtick for a single line and three backticks for a code block. See https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet for more details.

Thanks.

Awesome, fixed. The container shown here on http://open-nys.org/engage/

Flips on mouseover - perhaps it’s called a card?

You can see the error shown that the logo is missing an ALT - how do I use markup to fix? The image within the CMS is given an alt, you could pick that up, since the field is missing from the dialog.

Hi there,

I see what you mean, you are talking about the classic card element. Yep, currently, it does not have the alt attribute. We already informed our development team regarding this and it is acknowledged as an enhancement which should be done:

Thank you.

So in this case I should use a different element, and if they addded the alt, I would need to update the theme to take advantage?

Hi there,

Yes, you may use different element and update your theme in the future once it becomes available.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.