Videos not autoplaying after update

Hi there, I have a video at the top of every page that was autolooping fine before the most recent Pro update. The ‘loop’ and ‘autoplay’ buttons are both ticked on the video element, but on Chrome and Firefox you still have to click on them to be able to play. Please let me know how to fix this as was working before and now they are all not autoplaying - thanks.

Hello, @EarlySigns,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of plugin conflict or JS/CSS customization. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hi @EarlySigns,

I investigated your site and found that the video is played automatically due to the JavaScript error shown in the console. On further investigation it has been found that the anime.js file has been wrongly included through the Header and Footer Scripts plugin, the file is not present in the mentioned path. I would suggest you add the file in the child theme folder and add the proper path while including it. I have checked by removing the erroneous code and found the video is playing correctly.

Thanks

Hi there, many thanks for this I would have never worked it out! I have checked on firefox and chrome and the videos are still not autoplaying in the staging site - I have even cleared the cache to no avail. Any advice appreciated.

Hi @EarlySigns,

Glad that we are able to help you with this. I have checked your website in a different browser and found the video is automatically playing.

Thanks

Hi there, sadly this is still not resolved. Some videos play on the staging site, others do not - some play for the first few frames and stop. This is happening on Chrome and Firefox, despite the web cache and browser caches being cleared on both. Almost every page has a video at the top, please check and let me know what else to do as I really need these to work and everything was fine before I updated pro.

Hi @EarlySigns,

I checked all the given URLs and found the JavaScript error is still there, which I mentioned earlier. I would suggest you resolve that first and check the pages once again after clearing all types of cache.

NOTE: It has been checked in your staging server, but it shows the issue with your live URL.

I have also checked the URL https://staging.simplygraphics.com/web/ which is having the .04 seconds video which played perfectly.

Hope that resolves the issue.
Thanks

Hi there, thanks for your reply. No worries, I thought you’d already deleted the problematic JS code - I have gone ahead and removed this and all references to the code in headers etc. I have cloned the staging site to live, and whilst things have improved somewhat I still have some issues:

Firefox - all videos autoplay fine
Safari - videos stop playing after a few frames, sometimes play the full video after refreshing the page a couple of times
Chrome - the videos do not autoplay at all, and have to be clicked on.

I have also put this out to a poll on my private Facebook - everyone who tested it on Chrome said it did not autoplay - 7 people on different computers/wifi service providers etc. Most worked on Safari and Firefox.

Again - this feature was fine on all browsers before the Pro update - I can understand that when I updated Pro the anime.js file disappeared (I no longer needed it), but now I have removed all reference to that file and the JS what could be causing the issue? I can no longer see an error in the console?

Please advise - I designed all of these stopmotions by hand and the thought of them not being the sole feature on this website is killing me!

NB - the live site is now the one that has been amended

I have been experimenting with one page, to use the video as a ‘video background’ instead of using the video player. On Chrome, using it as a background makes autoplay work, whereas using video player on all other pages either stops autoplay working or stops after only a couple of frames - this is happening on Chrome and Safari so there is defintely something blocking your autoplay in Chrome and Safari - just wish I could see what it is!

The page where I have made the video element a ‘video background’

Hello @EarlySigns,

I am another staff checking this thread. I have tested the page and the video does not autoplay in my Brave and Opera browser. The video does autoplay in Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge, and Safari. There could be a browser video rendering issue or a certain browser extension could be causing this. Seeing the design layout of your page, it best that you use the video as a background. It will also help with page loading on smaller screens.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I have gone through and made all videos ‘background’ rather than the player. I doubt that the player was blocked due to a Chrome extension, as I had over 10 of my friends check it with the same results in Chrome. You might want to get your developers to look into this, as again everything was fine until the recent update of Pro, then all the videos stopped playing. This is more than a coincidence. I very much appreciate you helping me to get to the bottom of this, but it is a shame that this has cost me over 4 hours in design work fixes to find a workaround to a problem with the theme.

Thanks again and I hope this helps others who may have the same issue I have had.

Jayd

Hi @EarlySigns,

Glad to know the problem is resolved now and thanks for sharing it for help.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.