Video playback on iPad Pro

Hi. We have a video background on a section in our website and it’s not playing on iPad Pro, (We just get the poster image.) We see other video backgrounds on other sites playback so know it’s possible. I wondered if there is something we overlooked when setting it up?

Thank you for any guidance!

Hi there @jquinn33,

Thanks for writing in! I’ve checked your setup and that’s all correct. I’ve also checked the site on an iPad and an emulator and it works correctly there as well.

What iOS version is the iPad Pro running? 10.02 had a known issue with Video Playback on Safari, which could be the issue if you are running an older iOS version.

Thanks!

Thank you, Jack!

Yes, the video plays on the iPad Pro emulator here too, but the actual iPad Pro devices don’t play it. They are running iOS 11.0.3. If I use a Video Player element with the same source path, it plays, but as a Section background video, it won’t play.

Let me know if you have any suggestions! :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Hi there,

This might be something related to the codec of your video which can be different from the standard H.264 mode. I suggest that you convert your video to different formats and add the links by separating them with the pipe ( | ) character:

To know which codecs to use on video conversion kindly read this article:

Our theme uses the mejs library to add the video and it is working correctly with no problems. That is why I suspect either the video format is problematic or there is something going on that specific iPad Pro. Luckily you can check for both. You can have another video to test and check the case in another iPad pro to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you Christopher! We are able to repeat the playback issue on two different iPad Pros. We’re going to experiment with some other formats to see if that resolves the issue. What threw us off the scent of the codecs is that the video plays back perfectly on iPad Pro if we use the Video Player element, but doesn’t play when we use the same .mp4 video as a Section background. So we assumed the Section background was perhaps handling things differently and causing the playback issue. I will report back after we try some different formats! Thank you again for your guidance!

Thank you, let us know what you find out.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.