Video background slow to load on mobile

Hello

We’ve experienced a few issues lately where the background video is extremely slow to load on mobiles. We’ve tried uploading it via YT, but then we have the black bars issue (which is another annoying thing), so we often just embed the video directly.

It works great on desktop, but then with the mobile, it just shows the cover image for a long time and the video doesn’t seem to play for several seconds.

Does anyone know why this is?

Hello @schevannes,

Thanks for writing in! Please make sure that your video is cross browser compatible and has a decent file size. Bigger file size tends to load slower in mobile. And make sure that you have the right format which is .mp4. To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

Thanks - we’ve mainly had issues in Chrome. The video often doesn’t load in Chrome and we’ve tried several different versions of the video. And on the YT link, the black bars pop up. I will send a secure note with the login details.

Hey @schevannes,

Though your video format is mp4, it doesn’t really play even if you load it separately (visit the link in the secure note). I gave the video 20 minutes to load but I just see a blank player. I downloaded it and it plays fine locally so I believe that it has codec issues.

Please reformat your video using video formatting software like Handbrake.

If it does not help, please consult with a video transcoding expert and ensure that the video play separately first before updating us.

Alternatively, please use Youtube again and this time, ensure that you try the Force Cover Mode so you won’t get the black bars. See https://www.themepunch.com/slider-revolution/slide-background/#youtube-video

Thanks.

That’s very strange. The video works fine in Safari but just not Chrome. Also, we had force cover mode on. If you take a look at the other slider in there “home copy”, it is there, but we didn’t like the output of this and preferred to have it portrait, but it was impossible without the bars showing

Hey @schevannes,

Did you try reformatting or transcoding your video using video conversion tools like Handbrake as suggested previously?

Please also provide the URL of the Youtube video you’re trying to set as a background so we’ll try to replicate the setup on our end to see if there’s a problem with Slider Revolution Force Cover option.

Thanks.

Yes, the mp4 uploaded already was converted using that tool. It was originally in m4v format. So I do not understand.
The YT vid is here:

I tried a new conversion and it works OK now I think! However, I would definitely like to understand the issue with the YT vid.

Hi Schevannes,

Although, I don’t see the black bars on the video anymore, that issue commonly happens if your video’s Aspect Ratio is 16:9 (wide) but you set the slider’s Video Settings to 4:3 (not wide)

https://www.themepunch.com/slider-revolution/slide-background/#video-settings

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.