Venting Frustrations

I think at this point our problem is beyond support, but I really just thought someone needed to hear how frustrating this setup can be to work with.

On our current domain and membership plugin, the newest Cornerstone and/or X caused conflicts so we haven’t been able to update. We’re rebuilding our member area on another domain utilizing a new membership plugin.

On this second domain we updated the Cornerstone plugin but when I tried to import pages from the old site all I got was a page of nothing but errors due to the different cornerstone versions.

I tried a longshot and overwrote the Cornerstone folder with the older version, but this just broke the whole site. I tried looking through all of this site to find where I could download the newest version so I could at least access the admin area again, but to no avail. Finally had the thought to just delete the Cornerstone folder on the new site which let me get back into the admin area, which redownloaded the newest Cornerstone.

But still stuck not being able to import pages from the old site.

On top of that, I STILL am unable to use shortcodes in the href attribute of links? It literally took me 30 seconds to add a function in one of our custom plugins that lets me work around this (albeit having to wrap the entire link in our own custom shortcode).

TL;DR Cornerstone and X are incredibly infuriating to use.

Hi there,

Thanks for writing.

From what version of cornerstone your content is coming from? And to what version you updated it? And what membership plugin, maybe I could add that to our issue tracker. The version gap may affect the import process since it may contain different and outdated standard/structure.

Updates could cause conflict so it must be tested first, and if there any conflicts then you may work on the versions where it’s still stable. Plus when 4.9 became available, it caused issues too so it’s not just limited to theme or plugins update. I recommend installing WP 4.8.3 for now.

Installing a different version of Cornerstone that doesn’t match with theme’s version may really cause issues too. Hence, it’s only advisable to let the theme install it instead of uploading your own version. If you rather choose using the older version of the cornerstone, then you must use the older version of X theme too (perhaps, don’t update it for now).

And yes, shortcodes are still not allowed in href option. HREF option/attribute is supposed to include URL encoded content only, and shortcode isn’t a URL encoded content.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.