V4 upgrade breaks Cornerstone shortcodes

Upgrading to v4 has some issues on my website.

In this situation, I have pages like these where the content is laid out in the text panel of the editor, with cornerstone shortcodes.
I have no idea why that is, but if I try to edit with Pro the code is not automatically converted and the Pro Editor wants to start the content from scratch.

The pages display fine on v3 of Pro, but on v4 the content is blank on the front-end.
My guess is that v4 doesn’t work with the same shortcodes.

What would be the solution to correctly display the content in the front-end using v4 of Pro? Re-doing the pages is not an option.

Hello @carinaa,

Thanks for writing to us.

It seems that there might be an issue of plugin conflict. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing For Theme Related Issue
  2. Testing For Plugin Conflict
  3. Theme Update
  4. Child Theme
  5. Css/Js Customization
  6. Increasing Php Memory Limit
  7. Disabling Cache
  8. Disabling Cdn
  9. Permalinks
  10. Version Compatibility

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copying your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password
  • Exact Page URL
  • FTP Details

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

The issue’s still there after deactivating all plugins and with the latest Pro theme.
I’m going to add the login information to the staging site in the secure note.

Hey @carinaa,

The builder’s data is lost or has been deleted. Pro doesn’t have a function or mechanism to wipe out the data upon updating.

There could be something in your WordPress site and/or server that deletes the Post Meta where the builder data resides upon updating the theme or anything in WordPress. Please review your whole system. Especially look for database optimization tools/plugins and ask your web host if they have a feature like that.

If you recently moved your site, this could happen too. The Post Meta is often not included in this case so the builder is empty.

Regretfully, there is nothing we could do for lost builder data. You will need to revert your site from a working backup.

Thank you for understanding.

I restored the Pro theme v3.1.1 and you can see the content it’s displayed properly.
So clearly, the newer versions of the theme strip this functionality.
I understand if it’s not possible to make them editable in Pro again, that’s fine.
But at least I want to be able to display the content front-end, not just blank.

Hi @carinaa,

We’re glad that restoring the Pro theme to the old version fix your issue. I suggest that you provide us both information for live and staging area so that we can investigate further about the issue in the staging. Please make sure that on the staging area it is an exact copy of your live website.

Hope that helps and let us know.

Thank you.

You have access to the staging website which is an exact copy of the live site.
You can replicate the issue by switching the theme version from v3.1.1 to v4. Feel free to make any required changes on the staging site.

Hello @Carinaa,

Did you created the page in the Pro Editor or you just created the page in the WP Editor with the theme shortcodes? Please be advised that you are not supposed to switch between editors. Only pages created with th Pro Editor (Cornerstone) can be edited in Pro Editor. If you have accidentally switched to the WP Editor, the builder data may be corrupted and it may result in an issue where you can no longer edit the page back in the Pro Editor (Cornerstone).

Best Regards.

I don’t know how it got in this state, I have editors that update these pages.
But for sure shortcodes weren’t used, they were always built with PRO.

I understand if it’s not possible to revert to PRO Builder, that’s fine.
The issue is that the content displays fine, even in this format, on PRO versions before v4.
On PRO v4.1.5 the content doesn’t show up at all in the front-end, it’s just blank.

Hello @Carinaa,

Your editors may have copied and pasted the contents from another post contents or they have accidentally edited the page outside of the Pro Editor because if we inspected the output, only the text or classic shortcodes were recognized. The sections, rows, and columns were not rendered.

The expected structure should be the following:

CS Content
  - Section
    - Row
      - Column
        - classic text shortcode

This is also why if you edit the page back in the Pro Editor, it just displays blank. The editor data has been corrupted. It is best that you create the post in the Pro editor from scratch.

Best Regards.

That’s not what I’m saying. I said every time that I understand I’m not able to use Pro Editor anymore.
I just want the content to be displayed in the frontend when using PRO V4, just like it does in PRO V3.

I’ll just stick to the stable version of V3 until V4 is fixed.

Hi @Carinaa,

Can we update the Pro theme in your staging area so that we can investigate further?

Kindly let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.