Using Essential Grid to avoid video-preload burden

I would like to figure out a way to place videos on a home page, and avoid the burden of preloading You-Tube videos. The page has five videos. The goal is to speed up the loading of the page. I imagine that if there is no video loading until the user clicks a link, the page should load more quickly. I made some inquiries on the X-theme Facebook group, and got some replies that gave me hope. One suggested using Essential Grid as the intervening technology. Since it comes with X-theme, and I use it on my home page, I decided to try it. It made no difference, and I could not get it to display custom splash graphics I had made so that the video’s YouTube image came up no matter what I did. And reviewing the page-load info via Gtmetrix.com I saw no improvement.

My question has both a general and potentially a specific form. Is there any way to reduce page-load time by using intervening plug-ins to turn a “video” into a passive graphic link? Is there a way to do that with Essential Grid? Or is my quest a folly?

Thanks

Hello There,

Thank you for the very detailed post information. I guess the best solution is to have an image with a link to a youtube video. Upon clicking on this image, a lightbox would appear and it would contain the video to load up for the viewer to see. Perhaps you can check out the image demo with a lightbox here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/knowledge-base-overview/287

For related thread:

Hope this helps.

“Perhaps you can check out the image demo with a lightbox here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/knowledge-base-overview/287” I can see an entry, on this page, about the lighbox shortcode, but not any demo. Where might the demo be? I will try out this shortcode.

Hello @johnboak,

First paragraph of lightbox documentation we have have also added demo links. Here is a demo of lightbox on top of Integrity Stack that you can have a look:

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/responsive-lightbox/#general

Also sharing link to lightbox documentation:

Thanks.

my reply above seems to be meant for a different thread?? not sure how it ended up here??

Hey There,

You might have click the inline reply button.
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.

Best Regards.

I have a site with 8 Youtube Videos. For 6 I use Lightbox, and the other 2 are embeds. For the embeds I just add a small Javascript to cause the embed to take place After Page load to avoid render blocking.

The problem I have is I use Google Tag Manager to add VidoObject Structured Data and insert the required info–Image URLs and desc.–dynamically. I can’t make it work for the 6 lightbox youtube videos.

Hi there,

Please kindly do not hijack the thread even if the problem you are facing is similar to the original poster. For more information kindly read this article:

Kindly, open up a new thread with the detailed information and we will be more than happy to do our best to help you around regarding the issue.

Regarding the question, unfortunately, you cannot add directly to the object as the code is auto-generated in the lightbox and the video shows with the usage of MEjs library embedded in the WordPress itself.

I think you will be better off to use a lightbox plugin that you can add custom code inside. That way you can add the Embed object for the lightbox either. Unfortunately, our lightbox does not support that.

I did a Google Search regarding this and you may consider checking those plugins. Needless to say that those are not our official recommendation and just a helper to get you started.

For additional help kindly open up a separate thread.

Thank you,

I’m Sorry, I did not intend to “Hijack” anything. I guess I did though, and thanks for taking the trouble to answer my question anyway. I won’t do this kind of thing again.

No problem.
If you need anything else we can help you with, don’t hesitate to open another thread.