Urgent - Site broke after X-Theme upgrade

We upgraded X Theme to the latest version, along with latest Wordpress, PHP, and plugins.
We flushed WP and browser cache.
The main page is broken, with background images used for transitions between sections disappeared, images not properly sized, text not centered, margins gone.
What has happened? How can we fix it?

Hey @kyber,

Thanks for reaching out!

This could be a Cornerstone cache or any cache related to your website. I suggest that you go to Cornerstone > Settings > System and hit the clear style cache button. I also suggest clearing any cache associated with your website.

Only if none of that helps, please give us the following information in a Secure Note.

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts.

Thank you.

Hi - I tried the suggestions but it didn’t work. Adding the requested info

Hi @kyber,

Unfortunately, the Google cache version and current website look similar and I didn’t find any problem. Can you please let us know what exactly it looks like? I would also suggest you deactivated and delete the X theme after deleting the Cornerstone and then reinstall the X. And check if that resolves your issue or not. If not, I would suggest you restore the backup if you have any to a staging server and share the credentials in the secure note for further investigation.

Thanks

Try this other version of the cached version (see secure note)

If I uninstall X and Cornerstone, would I lose the whole website or the pages will stay there, just not properly rendered?

Hey @kyber,

If you uninstall the X and Cornerstone, the pages will stay there and it is just not properly rendered. On the other hand, if the issue still persists after installing a new copy of the theme, I highly suggest restoring the backup of your website and to help you with your issue, please copy your website into the staging area so that we can troubleshoot it properly. Please don’t forget to add all the staging credentials in the secure note.

Thank you.

Hey @kyber,

Withdrawing the post means that the issue was already solved on your end! If you have any other concerns or clarifications regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

Ok, so I reverted back to the previous version based on GoDaddy Backup, but WP kept crashing due to Cornerstone plugin. So after disabling it, I was able to regain access to dashboard and update the plugin. Since then WP didn’t crash anymore, X Addons appeared on the sidebar (they didn’t before), BUT my site is no longer as it was originally.
These are the main differences:

1. at the top, image and text are not rendered at all
  2. all the images to the right or left of the text while scrolling below are gone (compare with the cached version again in secure note)
    Can we start fixing this? No point in going to staging now as I don’t have a working version anymore :frowning:

Hi @kyber,

Can you please copy your live site to a staging server so we could troubleshoot freely without breaking your live site?
And give us access to the secure note including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password
– FTP/CPanel credentials to access the files.

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Ok, I had to set staging up from scratch with Godaddy (wasted a full day…)
Adding the information in secure note. I think I still need to move the X-Theme license from the old site to the new one + staging (they couldn’t just upgrade the old one…)

Hello @kyber,

You are using the Cornerstone version 6.1.4 with an outdated X theme 4.6.4. You will need to make sure that everything is up to date. Our latest available and supported versions as the following:

• X theme 9.1.4
  • Cornerstone 6.1.4
  • WordPress 5.9
  • PHP 7.4

You can check out the rest of available versions in this documentation:

You can also check out our changelog here:

Please have your site updated. And if you encounter an issue after the updates, you can check out this documentation as well:

Kindly let us know how it goes.

We are going in circle here. You keep asking me to do stuff rather than solving the issue.
I already updated the plugins and the theme and the site had a certain type of errors, but you said you couldn’t see the difference between that and the cached version I shared (even if obvious).
So you asked me to first create a staging server so you could investigate. No results. Then you asked me to restore the backup so you could investigate. I did that but of course the backup has old plugins and theme and now you want me to upgrade everything again.

I’ll do it, but please provide real support and help me bring the site back to its original state - it has been three days of back and forth and a lot of work from my part.

Thanks for the help

Hello @kyber,

We will just guide you what to do to be able to resolve your issue. Please be advised that you are going to do the update. The last time I check , I am seeing that you were using Cornerstone 6.1.4 with X theme 4.6.4 version which are not compatible at all. This is why you are having the issue and the only way to resolve it is to update the X theme to 9.1.4 which is the compatible version of Cornerstone 6.1.4.

After doing the X theme update to version 9.1.4, since you are using the WPBakery Page Builder, you must go to WPBakery Page Builder > General Settings and then enable the “Legacy X Integration”.

I already updated to 9.1.4 and the Legacy X integration was enabled already, unless you did it (even if I actually don’t use WPBakery Page Builder).

It seems to work now beside some smaller issues here and there! Probably re-installing the theme made the difference!

Some of the issues:

1. In the top left the logo is out of proportion. How do I fix that?
  2. when loaded on Safari the text at the top is completely out of proportion (check it against Chrome) - how do I fix that?
  3. On Chrome, the same text at the top starts being displayed as large, but then it gets resized to the right size, but with a very visible “jump”. How can that be addressed?

I’ll keep looking but it seems working well enough now.

Do I need to use WPBakery btw? I don’t think I ever used it…

Hello @kyber,

Your homepage were built using the WPBakery Page Builder.

You will have to activate the plugin all the time and the Legacy X Integration must be enabled always so that your issue after the update will not comeback.

The issue with your logo is because of the inconsistent font size settings. In Cornerstone > Theme Options > Headers > Logo, you added 20px while at the same time, somewhere in the custom CSS, you added also a different font size setting.

Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 8.09.31 AM

Please decide which one should be used or at least update your Cornerstone Theme Options settings.

For the issue with Safari browser, you must fix the issues above first and then you will have to clear your Safari browser’s cache before testing your site again.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.