Uploading videos to media library and displaying them

Hello ThemeCo’s,

After reading a lot topics here in the forum, I’m still struggling with the video topic. Here are my points:

a) The first problem was to upload any video to the library due to its size
b) Because I couldn’t reach the admin so far, I uploaded the video to the library via FTP - which worked
c) But: the file is not shown in the library - even after refreshing it

Nevertheless:

d) I created a new page, named it testpage and placed the video player element there
e) Then I copied the link from the library - how it should be - and the video played

But:

f) It worked in the backend (cornerstone) and after publishing it worked on the testpage in real
g) But when I try the same procedure on the original page - where the video shall be - it doesn’t work.
h) Cornerstone won’t save it - an error occurs.

So, help is needed either in the way to overcome this problem with the media library OR by helping how to play a youtube/vimeo/amazoneS3 source within the X theme

The website is: https://fragnerkfz.at <== IT’S GERMAN !!!

Best regards, Christian

Hello Christian,

Thanks for writing in!

Even if you upload the video files via FTP, it will not appear in the WP Media Library because it were not added into the WP database as a media file.

In most cases, the media upload file size is limited up to 2MB. It could be 8MB or 16MB depending on your server. You will need to increase this so that you can upload high resolution video files. To do that, please check out this article: https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-increase-the-maximum-file-upload-size-in-wordpress/

If you use videos from Youtube, Vimeo, AmazoneS3, etc, you will need to use the video element because this is only way you can insert and play the videos safely. You cannot use these videos as a background video of the sections. Background video will require a direct video file URL.

Hope this helps. Kindly let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.