Updating downloadable media files

Hello there,

My client regularly updates their PDFs and is finding it confusing having to update the file path on the download button each time. Is there a way to update the file AND retain the same file path? Wordpress places it’s files into time stamped directories so I understand the issue.

This seems like an old Wordpress question - we just used to overwrite the file on the server but I do not want my client having FTP access to the installation.

Thanks!

Spencer

Hello Spencer,

Thanks for writing to us.

You can replace the files using the File Manager plugin or FTP. Once you install the plugin upload the PDF file to the desired location within the WordPress media library. When your client needs to update the PDF file, they can simply upload the new version of the PDF using the same file name through the file management plugin. This action will replace the existing file while retaining the same file path.

Hope it helps
Thanks

@prakash_s,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are using this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/enable-media-replace/

We did not want our client to have access via FTP and only be able to replace a file - this plugin does that.

Cheers!

Spencer

Hi Spencer,

That is also a good plugin to replace the media files.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.