Updated to 4.3.3 and my website broke. I have restored a backup and now I have the same issue

WordPress › Error (aaronbooth.co.uk)

Hi,

I updated my theme today and I have never really had many issues with the theme in past but this time when moving to 4.3.3 I encounted an error.

I restored a backup and I have the same issue.

i have linked my website above but I can provide other files or information if needed.

Hi @AaronBooth,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would recommend that you create a staging site. This is very useful because you can test drive any X and Pro updates in the staging area, do the customizations and troubleshooting without disrupting your live site. Once everything is perfect, you can easily and flawlessly proceed the update in the live site. To know how to create a staging area, please check out these articles:
http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-create-staging-environment-for-a-wordpress-site/, https://maintainn.com/2015/02/how-to-create-a-staging-site-for-wordpress/

Before upgrading the theme in the staging environment, deactivate all plugins, switch to the default theme and make sure the WordPress and PHP version is up to date (please see the recommended versions here https://theme.co/docs/version-compatibility)

If the issue persists then please get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your staging WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thanks!

Hi Nabeel, I have been able to update my wordpress version but the type of wordpress instance I am using does not allow for php updates. It is on version 7.0.30.

Can you please take a look using the secure note in my post above? I have restored the theme back to the last working version using a all in one wp back up file but like I said I have same error.

Hi @AaronBooth,

You need to update the PHP version to 7.4 in order to use the updated version of Pro i.e. 4.3.3. I would suggest you contact your Hosting Service provider on this.
Updating the PHP version should not be interrupted by the WordPress version. It might be broken after you update the PHP, but it never blocks the update process.

Thanks

Hi Tristup,

I currently have an older version of pro installed 3.2.3.

Can you help me solve the issue with my website using this version?

Hi @AaronBooth,

I have already checked that you are using the Pro version 3.2.3 and you need to update the PHP version before you update the Pro to its latest version i.e 4.3.3. Updating the PHP version is beyond the scope of our theme support, you need to contact your Hosting Service provider on this.

Like my colleague suggested, I would also suggest you please copy your live site to a staging server first and then update the Pro version after updating the PHP version on your staging to avoid any issues in live server.

NOTE: Updating PHP version in Staging will not affect the Live, if both are not on it same server.

Thanks

I don’t want to upgrade to 4.3.3 I want my website to be restored.

Can you help me or not?

Hi @AaronBooth,

Sorry for the confusion, I have missed out your last word in the previous post. I have checked your website again, and it seems the site is already restored and didn’t find any error which you mentioned earlier.

Can you please let us know what exact issues you are having currently? Please remember that issues related to website restoration or backup are beyond the scope of theme support.

Thanks

Hi Tristup,

I can’t actually get the 3.4.3 theme working again. The website is currently using a default wordpress theme.

I have turned on pro again so that you can see the error I am having.

Hi @AaronBooth,

I have checked and found the issue you are describing while visiting the website frontend. But unfortunately, it does not provide much information about the error behind it.

What I assume there might be some Fatal error which is the reason behind your issue, I would suggest you add the debug setup in the wp-config.php file to log the errors into the file name debug.log inside the wp-content folder.

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
//SET PHP INI DISPLAY ERROR FALSE
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Please find the video that will help you to edit wp-config.php and add the above code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SDPTafEM8o
Please let us know the errors logged into the debug.log file along with the FTP/CPanel credentials for further investigation if the error is related to our theme or bundled plugin.

Thanks

Hello,

I have added the code and the content of the debugg file is:

[18-Aug-2021 15:11:55 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot declare class Cornerstone_Header, because the name is already in use in /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs/wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/includes/classes/regions/class-header.php on line 3
[18-Aug-2021 15:12:12 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot declare class Cornerstone_Header, because the name is already in use in /opt/bitnami/apps/wordpress/htdocs/wp-content/themes/pro/cornerstone/includes/classes/regions/class-header.php on line 3

Hi @AaronBooth,

I went ahead and check your website and I found out that your Pro 3.2.3 is corrupted. Please see the steps below why I concluded that your current Pro theme version is corrupted.

• I uninstall and delete your Pro 3.2.3
  • Since I still have a copy of Pro 3.2.3, I tried to install it on your website
  • After installing Pro 3.2.3 to your website, it fixes your issues

Please note that it is recommended to update your Pro theme to the latest version to have compatibility with the code and to avoid any vulnerability issues on your website.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

How strange that it got corrupted! I did try and replace the theme but thanks for solving.

I will set up my website using a staging area and update it all fully soon.

Thanks again,

Hi @AaronBooth,

Great and you’re welcome! If you have any other concerns or clarifications regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.