Unresponsive Sidebar Creation Page

Hi!

I have a site with a reasonably large number of sidebars (~30) and about 2500 posts. When I go to Appearance > Sidebars to create or edit a current sidebar, the page is incredibly slow to load and usually just becomes unresponsive and crashes before I can accomplish any task. I believe this stems from the combined quantity of sidebars and posts because with every new sidebar, the page has to load the post list of about 2500, so at this point it’s effectively loading 75,000+ posts.

Could we please have a sidebar page that doesn’t need to load the post list for every sidebar at once?

And in the meantime, is there a workaround for creating/editing sidebars (e.g. registering them and their locations in a child theme)?

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! The slow loading may due to PHP memory exhaustion. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

Thank you for your help. This has not improved the situation, as the PHP memory limit was already at 512M on this application (although I did add the definitions as requested, just in case).

In case there was a conflict I also deactivated all plugins and tested again with no perceptible difference in performance.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, at the moment the code of the Sidebar page will not allow restricting the number of the posts to show which you can select from, and yes that is the main cause of the issue you are experiencing.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround at the moment but I will add this to issue tracker as the usability edge case issue to be considered in later releases.

Thank you for your report.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.