Uber Menu not loading after recent WP update

Hi There,
The main Uber menu on my website is not loading. I can access submenus by going to the UberMenu link at the top of the tool bar, but I still cannot manage the main menu regardless of how I get there.

I have checked for plugin conflicts, and found none. When I switch to both the 2023 and 2024 WP themes, the full UberMenu loads instantly. And I do mean instantly. Unfortunately, I am unable to add/remove pages to the main menu when using a different theme.

The error I get is, “Page unresponsive.” I checked the wp-config.php file, and the WP Memory Limit is 1024MB.

The same thing happened after a previous WP update, and what fixed it was a theme update.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Nancy

Hello Nancy,

Thanks for writing to us.

In order to help you with your concerns we need to check your setting, I would request please share the admin login details meanwhile I would suggest you troubleshoot a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings. Please share your details in a secure note. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin-level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Hello again,
I clicked on the common issues link in your reply. Please not that I did check for plugin conflicts and found none. And I did disable the Pro Theme and switched to the 2023 them, and the problem went away. I also disabled the Pro Theme and switched to the 2024 theme and the problem went away. Seems to me that the Pro them is the issue.

Thanks for your further investigating.

Hey There,

I am another staff checking in. I use private browsing mode to ensure that this is the first time I load your site. The Uber menu is loading just fine on my browse. You can check out the screenshot below:

The issue could just be caching. Be advised that after every update, you will need to clear all your site caches. We have a documentation for that:

Best Regards.

Hello Ruenel,
Thanks for your email. The page that is not loading is on the admin side. When I click appearance/menu, the primary menu will not load. This means that I cannot add/delete pages. So yes, it looks and works great on the public side, but I can’t make changes to the main menu on the admin side.

From my first message,
The main Uber menu on my website is not loading. I can access submenus by going to the UberMenu link at the top of the tool bar, but I still cannot manage the main menu regardless of how I get there.

I have checked for plugin conflicts, and found none. When I switch to both the 2023 and 2024 WP themes, the full UberMenu loads instantly. And I do mean instantly. Unfortunately, I am unable to add/remove pages to the main menu when using a different theme.

The error I get is, “Page unresponsive.” I checked the wp-config.php file, and the WP Memory Limit is 1024MB.

Regarding clearing the cache, I have a link to the server that works beautifully thereby eliminating the problem with propagation taking up to two hours.

Could you please check this issue on the admin side? I sent the credentials in a secure email.

Thank you!

Hey @NLeVasseur,

I think I know what your issue is. If you have several menu items added to the Primary menu, chances are that you are experiencing the Max Input Vars time out. You will need to increase the PHP Input Vars value. Kindly check this out:

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hi Ruenel,
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked the site health, under server, and there was no such warning. Additionally, I logged into the CP and checked the user.ini file. Here are the values:

memory_limit = 1024M
max_execution_time = 300
post_max_size = 512M
max_input_vars = 100000
upload_max_filesize = 512M

Here’s what I don’t get. I’ve checked for plugin conflicts and there are none. But the menu loads almost instantly if I disable the Pro Theme. Does that not mean it’s the theme that is the problem?

it seems that the only way I am going to be able to edit the Main Menu is to:

1. Disable the Uber Menu plugin
  2. Change the theme to 2023 or 2023 as both will work
  3. Make the changes to the menu that I need

Then once I’ve added/deleted pages to the main menu, change back to the pro theme and reactivate the Uber Menu.

There’s got to be a better way to fix this issue.

Feeling frustrated,
Nancy

BTW, I tried the work-around mentioned above and it did NOT work. Evidently the WP themes do not support a native menu.

I am really dead in the water without the ability to manage the main menu on this site.

HELP, please!
Thank you.

Hey @NLeVasseur,

Please try adding the following code in your chile theme’s functions.php. That would remove our theme’s menu custom fields. I’m checking if that is the cause.

// ==================================
// Remove custom fields for menu	
// ==================================
add_action('init', 'remove_these', 10 );

function remove_these() {
	remove_all_actions( 'wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields', 10);
    remove_all_actions( 'wp_update_nav_menu_item', 10 );
    remove_all_filters( 'manage_nav-menus_columns', 10 );
}

Let us know if that fixes the issue and we’ll report this to our development team.

Thanks.

Will do.

BTW, I reached out to WP premium support by the hosting company, and after checking for a theme conflict, they agree with me that it’s a theme conflict.

I’ll pass the code on to them, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much for working on this.

N.

Hi again,
Please know that I am trying to stay out of your way as you and the WP team from the host troubleshoot this issue. I did not add the code you sent. Instead, I sent it to the WP team. They are reporting that nothing has changed. And, I just got this error message email from WordPress:

Howdy!

WordPress has a built-in feature that detects when a plugin or theme causes a fatal error on your site, and notifies you with this automated email.

In this case, WordPress caught an error with your theme, Pro – Child Theme.

First, visit your website (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.saintjameslancaster.org_&d=DwICaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=CsUsZ33tdjA12hL4r27lQ9ARNr6AiVuTzmtZ1aC51SY&m=3MWJGRP1ACfSeWroPvgAUD2nlW_HKtTsSjGJD0FVSm8cCHqXawwCrr1J5nOlJNAU&s=SywjPhjGM2m2t_QmTLXOL-KFBsaNmRpPHt22WjWodxg&e=) and check for any visible issues. Next, visit the page where the error was caught (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.saintjameslancaster.org_wp-2Dadmin_nav-2Dmenus.php&d=DwICaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=CsUsZ33tdjA12hL4r27lQ9ARNr6AiVuTzmtZ1aC51SY&m=3MWJGRP1ACfSeWroPvgAUD2nlW_HKtTsSjGJD0FVSm8cCHqXawwCrr1J5nOlJNAU&s=kqas4ntYGol6Va1rbK89Qv6k42zB6v7zYLjIOlKoqYY&e=) and check for any visible issues.

Please contact your host for assistance with investigating this issue further.

If your site appears broken and you can’t access your dashboard normally, WordPress now has a special “recovery mode”. This lets you safely login to your dashboard and investigate further.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.saintjameslancaster.org_wp-2Dlogin.php-3Faction-3Denter-5Frecovery-5Fmode-26rm-5Ftoken-3D7Fh773bflDOXugFheSzCSF-26rm-5Fkey-3DtCS6JQrhZcp1UOQNFSJW11&d=DwICaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=CsUsZ33tdjA12hL4r27lQ9ARNr6AiVuTzmtZ1aC51SY&m=3MWJGRP1ACfSeWroPvgAUD2nlW_HKtTsSjGJD0FVSm8cCHqXawwCrr1J5nOlJNAU&s=UmBKxK6KxpTeoo5dmQS5eT_589Mx6CznbfvYhhWyZ68&e=

To keep your site safe, this link will expire in 1 day. Don’t worry about that, though: a new link will be emailed to you if the error occurs again after it expires.

When seeking help with this issue, you may be asked for some of the following information:
WordPress version 6.4.1
Active theme: Pro – Child Theme (version 1.0.0)
Current plugin: (version )
PHP version 8.0.30

Error Details

An error of type E_COMPILE_ERROR was caused in line 37 of the file /home/stjames1744/public_html/wp-content/themes/pro-child/functions.php. Error message: Cannot redeclare remove_these() (previously declared in /home/stjames1744/public_html/wp-content/themes/pro-child/functions.php:30)

Can you please take a closer look at this? Or, can I put you directly in touch with the WP support team with whom I am working?

Thank you.

Good morning,
Here’s the latest:

1. The php error has gone away. WP informed me that it popped up because that code had been entered twice.
  2. WP has informed me that the problem persists even when disabling the UberMenu plugin.
  3. If I go into the Uber Menu using the link at the top of the editor, I can edit widget menus.
  4. But, I still cannot load the main menu page to edit the main menu.

All that said, I see that there’s an update for WordPress. Do you want me to update the site to the latest WP version?

Thanks.

Hey @NLeVasseur,

Thanks for testing. Please remove the previous code and try this one.

add_filter("cs_use_custom_fields_map", "__return_false");

Thanks for sending this. I’ll forward to WP support.
N.

It worked! Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Phew! I am so relieved!

Hey @NLeVasseur,

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.