Trip Advisor Social > Footer

Hi Team,

Can someone advise on the new method to add a custom (Trip Advisor) icon to the socials in the footer of X.
I have completed the functions addition before and followed the latest post on how to from 2019 but unfortunately the below instructions including the copy and paste into functions.php didn’t work for us this time.

Could we add one or two custom socials to the X Theme Options panel (feature request :clap:)

Standing by - thank you in advance!

Hey @DeeDesign,

Just tested the override code that was suggested in the other thread and it works.

Maybe what you mean by “not working” is only the link? In the code, you need to insert your link between the single quotes in this line:

$tripadvisor = '';

If the code doesn’t really work for you, please consult with a third-party developer to know why the code isn’t working. Please note that we do not provide support or fix custom codes. We only provide general coding guidance and that’s what my colleague, Jade, did in the other thread.

The none coding and also the official solution for this case is to upgrade to our Pro theme so that you can create a custom header and use the Social element within the Pro custom header.

A similar feature request to add more social options natively in X has been submitted but there are currently no plans to implement them. One reason for that is maybe because users want different header designs including more icons, placement of icons, etc… Collectively, that could add bloat to the theme so the most efficient way to achieve that is through creating a header or footer using the Header and Footer builders.

Hope that helps and thank you for understanding.

Thank you @Christian,

We had more success following these instructions provided by your team.

(function($){ 
	$('.x-social-global').append('<a href="http://tripadvisor.com" class="tripadvisor" title="Trip Advisor" target="_blank"><i class="x-icon x-icon-tripadvisor" data-x-icon-b="" aria-hidden="true"></i></a>');
})(jQuery)

Everything looks great in the Theme Options preview but on the front end we get the icon code and no icon.
Can you assist in the the last step to finalize this footer social for us?

Hey @DeeDesign,

The code is Javascript and in the case of script conflicts, your icon won’t show. That’s something to take into account and that’s why even if I knew that and I myself am providing custom codes in the past, I don’t recommend that. Moreover, if we provide custom codes, I find that we are flooded with customization requests and that is outside the scope of our theme support in the first place.

Regarding that code again, it’s also working on my end both in the preview and live page. I just pasted it in the Global JS. This tells me that there’s something on your site causing the issue.

Try clearing your browser’s cache and ensure the Font Awesome icons are enabled in Theme Options > Miscellaneous. If that doesn’t help, try all the solutions listed in our Common Issues article here: https://theme.co/docs/common-issues

Just a kind reminder again.

Hope that helps and thank you for understanding.

Thank you @christian - sorry for any misunderstanding.
I thought codes provided by support were not custom. I’ll keep trying to de-bug, thank you for double checking that it is working on your end.

D

You’re welcome, D.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.