Translation in child theme and getting Updates

Hi,

We have some translation issues found in the theme. Now I’ve read about creating a child theme and putting in fixed po and mo files.

So I know when I update the theme, the child settings won’t be lost. But what if you generate new strings - will they be shown up in the child theme again?

I think about an extending of the translation file. The parent theme has the complete po file and the child theme has a po file with only 2-3 translation strings. It this possible or does the system only takes one po file?

Thanks

Hey there,

If ever there is a new string, you simply need to add it to your child theme’s translation files.

If you want an automated system, you’ll need a plugin like WPML or a custom developed solution. This is not available in WordPress out of the box.

Thanks.

Hi there!

By copying a new will replace mine but how to move just new strings?

It’s not about WPML the site has only one language but custom translated.

Thanks

Hi there,

You will need to open up the PO file using the POEDIT software. Then you will see a section to add a new string literal and its translation without touching other strings in the file. Then the software will automatically generate the MO file and will put it next to the PO file in the same folder.

Thank you.