I migrated a client site from my hosting environments to the clients’ host (wordpresss.com). The migration went well with no errors, but when looking at the front end I get the errors.
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems that there might be an issue of plugin conflict. I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.
- Testing For Theme Related Issue
- Testing For Plugin Conflict
- Theme Update
- Child Theme
- Css/Js Customization
- Increasing Php Memory Limit
- Disabling Cache
- Disabling Cdn
- Version Compatibility
If none of those work, please send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your settings Please provide the following details
- WordPress Login URL
- Admin level username and password
- FTP Details
You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts
Hi, I fixed it in the end. I just replaced the Pro theme folder with the latest version. It worked out all fine. cheers
We’re glad that you’re able to fix your issue. If you have any other concerns regarding our theme features, feel free to reach us.
This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.