The Grid error after PHP upgrade to 7.3

I just upgraded the PHP version used by our website from v5.6 to 7.3 and I now get this error on the front page below the grid section

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /var/sites/u/urbansynergy.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/the-grid/includes/the-grid-base.class.php on line 604

Our charity website is urbansynergy.com

How can I resolve this error?

Hi @nigelwill,

You are using an old version of The Grid plugin (Version 2.2.0). Please kindly make a complete backup of your website and update The Grid plugin to version 2.7.4 according to our Version Compatibility:

Thank you.

Thank you, I do have v2.2 of The Grid installed, but there is no option to update it to 2.7.4…

EDIT, I found an option in Bulk Extension Manager, but it returns:

Updating Plugin: The Grid

The plugin is at the latest version

In the meantime I have switched to a different theme and the problem is hidden.

Hi @nigelwill,

Would you please kindly create a complete backup of your website and then deactivate and delete The Grid plugin?

Then please kindly go to X > Validation and there you will be able to install The Grid plugin.

That way you will be able to install the latest version of the plugin.

For more information:

Thank you.

Are you suggesting a backup and restore of my entire website just to upgrade a plugin?

I’m only using a 2 grids, can I save their configuration, uninstall, re-install/upgrade and load the config afterwards?

Hello @nigelwill,

Whenever doing a WordPress core update, a theme update or any of the plugin updates, backing up your site is highly recommended so that if anything happens after the update, you can only go back to the backup. Meanwhile, the safest way to delete a plugin without accidentally deleting any plugin data is to do the following:

• Browse to the plugins folder, /wp-content/plugins/
  • Find the folder name of the plugin that you are going to delete
  • Delete the plugin folder

Once the plugin folder is deleted, WordPress automatically deactivates the plugin. You can then reinstall the plugin with no issues while any of the plugin data is still in tack.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the tip @ruenel, I will try this method to keep the grid setup in place during upgrade. I do run a backup whenever there is a WP update or theme updates, as well as scheduled backup.

You’re welcome, @nigelwill.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.