Subscribe button no longer works (Mailchimp)

Hey there, I’m not sure what happened, but my subscribe buttons are no longer working. Whenever someone enters their name/email and hits subscribe, nothing seems to be happening. I have a few places throughout my website that allows people to subscribe and they all do the same thing.

Any idea what the issue might be?

Hey Eric,

Before we investigate, we first need to know if the issue is really coming from our products and not caused by 3rd party factors such as customizations and 3rd party plugins.

With that said, please do the following basic troubleshooting procedure:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/docs/version-compatibility. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/docs/product-updates for more details.

2. If you’re using a caching or optimization plugins, clear all caches then temporarily deactivate your caching plugin and other optimization plugins. Please then clear your browser’s cache.

3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

4. If you’re using a child theme, switch to the parent theme.

5. If you have custom CSS and Javascript codes anywhere in your site, please temporarily remove all of them.

All of that was mentioned in our Common Issues article so you can learn more from there.

Thanks.

Hi Christian, I already tried most of those steps before posting my question. I made sure everything was updated, cleared/disabled my cache, tested for plugin conflicts, removed/re-added my CSS, and I also tried to subscribe from different laptops/phones but it still doesn’t work.

When I log in to mail chimp it says everything is fine/up to date, so I’m not sure what the issue could be.

I have a feeling it’s a very basic quick fix, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Hi, quick update. I’ve come to realize that when people subscribe, they are receiving an email asking them to confirm their subscription (it just usually appears in their junk folder). So the button is working, however, two issues remain.

#1 - They’re no longer receiving the confirmation message once they hit subscribe.

And #2 - On my Mailchimp account, it’s set for a single opt in, but for some reason my site is using a double opt-in, which forces them to confirm their subscription after the fact (which is especially problematic considering those emails usually appear in their junk folder).

I scoured the forums but none of the troubleshooting advice has worked so far.

Please advise

Hey Eric,

Thanks for performing the basic troubleshooting procedures. You missed #1 though. You’re still using the old Email Forms plugin. The current version is 2.0.5 according to our Version Compatibility page.

If there’s no update notification for a plugin available, it means that you will need to reinstall it. You’ll also need to take note of your Email Forms setup as you’ll be upgrading to a major version and data might get lost. Export for Email Forms is available in Tools > Export. Export the Email Integration.

If the issues persist after upgrading Email Forms, we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Thanks.

Hey Christian, I exported the email integration, then I deactivated the old email forms (version 1.1.2) and installed the new one (version 2.0.5). However, when I tried to import the email integration XML file, I kept getting an error message that says ‘failed to import’. Do you know what might be causing that issue?

I spent a lot of time customizing my email forms, so I’d like to find a way to keep the same design with the new updated plugin. Any idea as to how I could go about doing that?

In the meantime, I reverted back to the old email forms version just to make sure my data isn’t lost.

Thanks again for your help

Hi Eric,

I wonder what happened when you upgraded to the new version? Did you test for the emails and newsletters?
You might need to set the integration again using the method below:

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do if there is a data problem as you had a very old version of the plugin.

Thank you for your understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.