Still cant load page

I keep getting these errors which makes it impossible to load a preview of some pages. Mainly if they have a lot of content on them. Smaller pages load most of the time but I need to try a few times to load. I have done everything suggested, switched child theme to main theme, cleared cache, disabled all plugins but nothing helps.

Its getting to the stage where is impossible to work on some pages.

Hi There,

Your page http://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/ loaded fine on my end.

Please clean your browser cache and test it again, if the issue persists, let us know which browser and device you are using.

Thank you

Thanks for testing. I cleared out the local and cloudflare cache but still same thing. I thought it may be to do with a slow internet connection so tested speed, was 12mbps download but at peak time that can drop to 2mbps. But any way this is the speed when I tested it.

I am using the latest version of chrome on a windows 10 (64 bit) let me know if you need any other info

Also made a complete re-installation of windows and chrome plus turned off all chrome extensions. But did not resolve problem. I’m sure this has something to do with it just taking to long to load the page so it times out. I am using WPEngine as host so they are rated as one of the best speed wise. So not sure where the speed (if it is that) problem is coming from. I also use cloudflare but turned that off and bypassed them but again did not resolve problem.

I have been able to load the page after waiting up to five minutes and constantly reloading or refreshing page. I always get the sections to load on the left panel, its just the preview. The fact it loads after constant refreshes indicates thereto me there is no conflict, just a speed issue, what do you think?

But I do this as a living so I cannot wait around 5 minutes every time I want to work on a page.

should the origin and preview URL be exactly the same?

I get origin: https://gunstocarry.com/
and preview: https://gunstocarry.com/state-gun-laws

Not sure if this help, now get an error message from chrome as well saying page unresponsive. Have been trying 10 minutes to open now.

Hi there,

Thank you for the information.

For the last question, the main domain is important to be the same, which in your case it is the same. The rest after / is not important for his error.

In another message, you have mentioned that you use the CloudFlare. Would you please kindly make sure that you follow the recommendations here:

https://xthemetips.com/using-cloudflare-rocket-loader-with-x-pro-and-x5/928/

In another point I see an error on my Google Chrome browser console while trying to load the builder preview in the Alabama Gun Laws page: (Something about the Polygon tag problem)

I am not sure if it is something used in our built-in elements or something you have added yourself.

Anyway, I used the Template functionality of the Cornerstone to duplicate the same page to a newly created page by me called Test Page.

That page also throws the error. I suggest that you follow the steps below:

1. Deactivate all plugins except Cornerstone
  2. Deactivate Cloudflare by converting it to developer mode
  3. Go to The Test Page
  4. Delete the sections one by one and save the page, go out of the Cornerstone and go in again and see if you see the error

The steps above will help you to pinpoint the section that might cause the issue.

My experience on loading the Test Page in the preview is pretty fast and it gives the error in no time. I did not succeed to replicate the long waiting time problem.

One last thing I did was to install the WP-Serverinfo plugin and go to Dashboard > WP-Serverinfo and found out that the PHP memory limit is ok and you do not have problems regarding that.

Thank you.

Thank you for the great support. I put the cloudflare page rule in place

Disabled all the plugins apart from corner stone and then began deleting sections from the test page. The results were inconclusive. I did get the page working correctly when had deleted about six sections. i cleared the cache after deleting each section. I could not pin it to any section in particular but they are what I would call high resource sections that load maps and counters. This error also appears on other pages the worst being gun-laws-state which has 50 sections on it and is the most difficult to load. But it has nothing in common with the other pages such as Alabama. My conclusion is that the less sections or content on a page the easier it is to load. Hence I still think it is a time out issue as the page with the most content is always the most difficult to load and I can correct the problem by simply deleting content to a bare minimum. Plus the error happens on about 90% of pages so it is unlikely they would all have some type of coding error on all of them. .
So I am not sure what else can be done. I will be taking my laptop up to a friends place tomorrow who has a fibre optic connection to the internet and is about 40-50mbps so will see if that makes a difference. That will at least eliminate my network connection if the error still appears on his network.

Thanks. Let us know if the issue persist even in high speed connections.

Could you also try disconnecting your site entirely from Cloudflare?

Thanks.

Hello, have following to report.

1. Tested website on fairly high speed (20 mbps) with another totally different PC and got the same error.

2. With the help of WPEngine staff we totally disabled cloudflare and had site offline for about half an hour will running tests. We modified my local host file so that I had direct access to the website while I tried to open pages. Again kept getting same error.

So I have eliminated my PC and network from the problem. Also cloudflare has been eliminated as a problem.

So not sure where to go from here, there seems little I can do now to resolve the issue at my end. Hopefully you guys have some more suggestions.

I should add the high speed test was done on a totally different network.

Hi there,

I understand that you did all of that, but would you mind providing your CF login credentials as well? I like to try it myself: slight_smile:

I can still see CF active from your site and we can verify it through the source code and header responses. And since it’s a live site, then the cache is probably active as well since it’s WPEngine. I’m not saying it’s the culprit, but I like to clear caches at the same time from both WPEngine and CF while testing.

Thanks!

Yes that is no problem I will put the details in a secure note. You may have to take the site offline to test, that will happen when you disable cloudflare. But I am OK with that as we only get about 200 visits per day so wont affect to many people. Anyway good luck and hope you can figure it out.

Here isome more info you may need to direct access site once cloudflare disabled (secure note)

Hi there,

These are what I did,

1. I changed your CF rules
  2. Under your Admin > Settings > General, I changed you HTTP URLs to HTTPS URLs (that’s because your site is SSL enabled)

And it works

But it still too slow and usually won’t load, something is wrong with it internally. The fact that you’re forcing it with HTTPS but the configured URLs are still in HTTP, then maybe internal URLs are still in HTTP too. Or perhaps, internal URLs are pointing to Staging URL? I see this happen on other sites too with staging feature and the issue is with internal URLs.

I also deactivated the Really Simply SSL plugin since it’s throwing errors that the SSL is still not active.

Unfortunately, we can’t bypass your host caching so I can’t confirm if this is cache related or not (internal URLs).

I think this is also happening on WPEngine’s staging as I saw once from other threads, and the URLs aren’t updated (internal URLs are still the live URL instead of Staging URL). Similar to this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-builder-preview-warnings/14404 ( Seeing the error in a SiteGround staging environment? )

Thanks!

Appreciate you testing it out. What do you suggest I do now. Try to change internal URLs? How would I do that? If it is an internal error would that be difficult to track down.

I should add that I did not change any internal URLs when I went over to https, I relied on the Really Simple SSL plugin to do that for me as I was not sure how to do it myself.

Hey @waynepatt58,

I get the error message every first load but if I click Try Again, the builder loads fine. It seems like it is because you have lots of content on that page. See screen recording in the Secure Note.

Thanks.

Thanks for video, yes I can most of the time get into pages after multiple clicks. That particular page was the worst. I am deleting every section for the states and will just have an accordion that lists every state.

This happens on 90% pages loading. One of your techs thinks it is to do with internal problems related to http links still in a hhtps site so will look into that. So it may be the redirects to https causing the problem.