Specifying the h1 and h1-2 tags

SemRush tells me I have duplicate H1 tags on the page. They are the same two words.
Screaming Frog tells me that I do not have an H1 tag at all. It says I have an H1-2 tag.
I have been through the page completely and cannot find another H1 tag.
The page source shows only the one isntance of H1 but it is like this '<h1>Hybrid Publishing</h1></h1>'
Why Is the H1 tag, which is inside the single page layout as ‘Title’ not showing as the H1 tag? And why is this not the only H1 tag on the page?
I really need to solve this mystery.

Hello Edward,

Thanks for writing in! Can you please provide the URL of the page where you have experienced the issue so we can check and investigate it? You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
– Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Best Regards.

This is Screaming Frog showing no H1-1

This is the layout of the header for the Single Page template applied to the page.
It is the H1 post title that show be showing as the H1-1

Hi Edward,

I have checked the layout and found that you have selected h1 as the HTML tag and also added the h1 into the content. You need to select the Div as HTML tag to avoid the issue.

Hope it helps.
Thanks

Hi, thank you for your reply.
So for the h1 heading (that is a single post template) I set the HTML tag to Div. Then set the text in the editor to h1.
And it now shows as the H1-1.
So all headings must be set to Div and the part that specifies the tag is in the editor. I hope I am correct in that as it seems to be what you are saying?

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 21.13.09

Hello Edward,

I tested by setting the HTML tag to a DIV and then inserted the custom Heading tag on the editor and it is working fine on my end. I can not replicate the issue as you mentioned.

Would you mind sharing the exact page URL so that we can check it on our end?

Thanks

This is the page:

Yes, what you said works for the (h1), which is set as your example above setting the HTML Tag to Div and h1 in the editor.
However, it does not work with the first heading of text on the page.
This starts with ‘Hybrid publishing is…’ This is the introduction text and should be p.
I have set the HTML Tag to Div (as you say) and to Paragraph in the editor.
However, when I inspect the page it does not have §Hybrid publishing is…
To get the §Hybrid publishing is… I have to set the HTML Tag to P.
Equally, to get (h2) I have to set the HTML tag to H2.
Why is there this discrepancy?
Is it only the h1 tag that needs to be set to Div? It seems like this is the case.
Please clarify if this is correct of what is correct: To set H1 tag set HTML tag to DIv and set the H1 tag in the editor. For H2, H3 etc you must choose the corresponding HTML T ag. For P use ‘Text’ element.
Really need to have these questions clarified as it is essential that these are correct for SEO.
(Should I use the ‘Text’ element for p?)
Please see screenshots

Hi Edward,

I have checked the URL and found it correctly set the HTML tags for the Headline and used the The Content element to show the content from the post, which will be wrapped with the p tag.

Hope it will clarify your doubts.
Thanks

Hi, you did not actually address my questions. I will work it out by trial and error.
There is nothing in the Docs that explains this.
If someone wants an h1 title for a Headline, the first thing you see is the HTML Tag selection and the obvious thing to do is choose h1 there. Then they set h1 in the editor and they get the issue being discussed here. Nowhere does it say you need to select the DIv HTML to avoid the H1-2 issue.
I would suggest that Cornerstone users who do not delve too deeply will all have pages that are not optimised for SEO even though they did try to do that.
Having a Doc to clearly explain this is I think essential.

Hi Edward,

In the Headline element, the HTML tags are selectable, and that will wrap the content added to the editor. So, there is no need to add any extra tags. But if you select any container tags like p , div , or span, you can add any tags inside the content.

I would suggest you go through the following documentation, where the HTML tag option is explained.

Please let us know if you need any further help on this.
Thanks

Hi, the support article does not say anything about using the Div tag for Headlines. It actually says to set the Tag there for H1 , H2, H3. It does not mention the Div tag at all and is the opposite of what you are telling me.
If I want a Headline in the default Hi font size/colour then I choose Div and set H1 in the editor.
If I want the Headline in a different font using the Text adjustment I choose H1 HTTML Tag and set the text to P in the Editor.
When do the Text settings override the Font size set in the editor? Sometimes they do override it and sometimes they do not.

Hello Edward,

Just another perspective from me. If I am gonna create a page outline like this:

Headline
  - Sub Headline
  - Paragraph

Headline 
  - Sub Headline
  - Paragraph

I am going to have an element structure like this:

Headline element which is set to `<h1>`
  - Headline element which is set to `<h3>`
  - Paragraph so that the `<p>` tags will be used

Headline element which is set to `<h2>`
  - Headline element which is set to `<h3>`
  - Paragraph so that the `<p>` tags will be used

The column element will be my container. If needed, I will use the DIV element so I can have <div> HTML as my container.

The point in using the Headline element is that I can always create a Headline style preset and I can always apply it every time I insert a headline on the page. If you are going to use a different way like insert '<h1>Hybrid Publishing</h1>', you will not have much control over the styling of the H1 tag. It will only rely on the pre-built heading styling of the theme.

I hope this makes sense.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.