Site went down after Error 500 after updating functions.php in child theme

Hi there. I was trying to add the code for a sidebar on WooCommerce product pages. Following the instructions from another post, I cut and pasted the code from a support post into the child theme.

Now I am getting a 500 error - and my site is down…

I tried renaming the functions.php file to no avial.
I can’t get in to the admin area, nor can I see the site at all.

Hi There,

Since we cannot access WP backend, we need your FTP credentials to check your issue.

Thanks!

Ok, I will send them in a secure note.
Also, for what it’s worth, I noticed that all of the plug-ins files have been deactivated - “files don’t exist”

Hi There,

Your site is now up when I check. See this: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbj0fsl8gs.
This is the cause of the error when I check your error log:
22-Aug-2017 06:08:37 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:12:43 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:12:57 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:14:13 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:25:13 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:28:49 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:34:36 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:34:51 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:39:16 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:40:27 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:43:33 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:58:42 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:59:17 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 06:59:18 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:09:00 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:25:38 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:30:49 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:31:08 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:36:35 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:40:56 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php on line 73 [22-Aug-2017 07:45:49 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function x_get_view() in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x/index.php on line 18 [22-Aug-2017 07:46:46 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function x_get_view() in /home3/patsiele/public_html/patsieler/wp-content/themes/x/index.php on line 18
Usually this happens because there’s a fatal or parse error. We can’t see the real error on the frontend because your site server configuration might be suppressing it. We can see the real error and it’s complete details when we check the error log. That’s what I found on the last part of the error log. To give you an idea what that error means, please check this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18050071/php-parse-syntax-errors-and-how-to-solve-them

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Hi There,

It seems that you’re having issues with some custom code added to the child theme.

Let us know if you need further assistance.
Thanks!

Yes, that’s what started it all. I started another post, though, so I’ll wait on that.

ok, we’ll reply on your other post. Thanks

1 Like