Site is down lldh

Hi My site is completely down. When I try to go to my site the HTML is …

I cannot login. The login screen will not come up.

The last thing I did… I was trying to debug an issue with Ultimate Member. The asked me to deactivate all plugins and change the Them to Twenty Fifteen. So I did as they asked. Then in trying to bring the site back up, I activated all of the plug ins and then tried to change the Theme. I select that Pro Child theme and that is when everything stopped working. Please help.

Thank you.

Ok I drilled into the Host and change the folder “pro-child” to “BAKpro-child” and refreshed the site. I can log in. Now that I am logged into the Admin I see that the theme tweanty seventeen is the active theme. I can active the pro them without issue. But as soon as I activate the pro-child them I get a blank page for everything! the admin page goes blank along with the whole site.

Any suggestions?

Hello There,

Thanks for posting in! This usually happens if there is a fatal error when the child theme is active. Most of the time, the fatal error may have been triggered by a wrong code which you may have added in the child theme. Could you please post the contents of your Child theme’s functions.php file in your next reply?

Thank you in advance.

Hi - The strange thing was I did make some changes to the child theme and then removed those changes. Everything worked just fine until I switched themes and then tried to activate the child theme.

In the end, I deleted the folder with Child them. Then went back into the WP Admin view and re-installed the Child Theme. This worked and got my site back up and running.

Glad to hear everything is working now :slight_smile:

If you have any insight/ideas as too why my site went down, I would find it helpful. At the moment I almost think that if I change to another theme and then back to Pro, I may need to reinstall the Child Theme. But that is not what I would have expected??

Hi there,

There must be some incorrect code in the previous pro child theme that you had active which was causing the issue.

If you still have the child theme unaltered after switching back to the parent theme, what I can suggest is that you setup a staging site and use the child theme from there. If you are having the same issue, please login through FTP and edit the file wp-config.php then set the wp_debug option to true. Once you open your site, you should be able to see the error message instead of just a blank screen. That should give you an idea what error there is in the child theme.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.