Site doesn't display properly after updating

Hello everyone,

We tried updating out website to the new version of Cornerstone today, sadly to our surprise after the update was done to 7.1.9 we were greeted by miles of code on our Home Site. Sadly the update completely changed the appearence of the website and all we were left with, was code. We then restored an old version (from a few hours prior to the update) and everything was back to where it should be.

Now our client needs the site working and finished - yet we cannot touch the website, because cornerstone is not compatible with out WP version so it seems. So we really need to update Cornerstone… yet it would probably break the appearence again.

Do we have a solution to this?

Kind Regards

Hello @susaBild,

Thanks for writing to us.

It might be the issue of plugin conflict or cache issue, I would suggest you please have look at this doc to learn more about how to fix the site appearance if it is broken after the theme update.

If it doesn’t work for you I would suggest you troubleshoot with a few of the common issues before we investigate your settings.

1. Testing for Plugin Conflict
  2. CSS/JS Customization
  3. Version Compatibility
  4. Disabling Cache
  5. Child Theme

If none of those work, It would be best if you could copy your live website to your staging area. and send your details in a secure note so that we can investigate your setting without breaking your live site. Please provide the following details

• WordPress Login URL
  • Admin level username and password

You can find the Secure Note button at the bottom of your posts

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the fast reply @prakash_s !

We will have a look at those suggestions tomorrow, we will either get back to you or mark the post as solved by the end of tomorrow.

Hey Susanne,

Great and let us know how it goes. If the issue still persists, it would be best to create a staging area and give us the details so that we can investigate your issue properly.

Thank you.

Hey,
So after experimenting, the site is offically updated to 7.1.9, in Incognito and Logged out mode, the site is displayed as intended - yet as soon as you log into the backend, the site is displayed with code again. (still displayed properly in incognito mode) and we cannot work inside the editor as elements won’t be displayed aside from headermenu and footermenu (which we also can’t work on).

We tried various things and this is a new seperate issue, we assume and needs different solutions, correct?

Hi Susanne,

If that is the case, we need to investigate it through the WordPress admin dashboard. I would request you please provide login credentials for your site in a secure note to examine it further, including:

– WordPress Site URL & Login URL
– WordPress Admin username/password

To create a secure note, click the key icon underneath any of your posts.

Thanks

Done @tristup

Hey Susanne,

Upon checking your website, you are using an old version of the X theme which is 4.2.2 and while your Cornerstone is on the latest version. There is a compatibility issue between the X theme and the Cornerstone plugin. I also found out that your license code is for a standalone Cornerstone.

It would help if you got your X theme updated to be compatible with your current Cornerstone.

Hope that helps.

Hey @marc_a,

We will look into it and get back to you thanks!

Oh btw,

We took over the site for this client and didn’t know what Themes were used. Do we now need to purchase the X theme to get the newest version? Due to Cornerstone being standalone?

Hi @susaBild,

Thanks for updating in! I have checked your Themeco account and I can see that you have a standalone Cornerstone license code. This can only be used to validate the standalone Cornerstone plugin. You cannot use this license code to validate the X theme. If you happen to purchase the license by mistake, please request a refund from Envato. You will need to purchase the X theme instead since you are using the X theme. Once the X theme is validated, the X theme and Cornerstone can be updated.

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.