Set image sizes

Morning

I’m growing increasingly tired of X and all of its issues.

I am trying to edit the best size images for the website but also watch out for load speed because it is required for good SEO.

In the FB group, it was suggested I read this article - https://xthemetips.com/size-matters-the-x-image-guide/730/

However, why am I having to guess image sizes? How do we set image sizes to avoid images looking stretched? I can do this with my other theme on another website.

If I right click, inspect the in content image size should be 899 (checking from laptop) or 953 (from desktop) but 899 does not look clear:

Underneath the image of the building and photo I’ve uploaded an image at 1109 but X has changed to 953 after upload.

According to Google Insights I should be reducing the image sizes:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.twoscotsabroad.com%2Fwhere-to-stay-in-lima-what-to-do-there%2F&tab=desktop

Optimization Suggestions
Optimize images
Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.
Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 556.9KiB (39% reduction).
Compressing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…ntent/uploads/2015/03/Barranco-Lima_.jpg could save 109.3KiB (34% reduction).
Compressing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…loads/2015/03/Miraflores-Lima-Tours_.jpg could save 81.5KiB (30% reduction).
Compressing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…/03/Where-to-stay-in-Lima-Miraflores.jpg could save 62KiB (29% reduction).
Compressing and resizing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…/07/Two-Scots-Abroad-Craig-and-Gemma.jpg could save 60KiB (74% reduction).
Compressing and resizing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…017/07/Two-Scots-Abroad-Mailing-List.jpg could save 56.6KiB (74% reduction).
Compressing and resizing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…ploads/2017/07/Two-Scots-Abroad-Pack.jpg could save 53.3KiB (75% reduction).
Compressing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…/03/Miraflores-Lima-Sunset-Larcomar_.jpg could save 50KiB (27% reduction).
Compressing and resizing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…ploads/2017/07/Two-Scots-Abroad-Plan.jpg could save 45.5KiB (73% reduction).
Compressing https://www.twoscotsabroad.com/…/2015/03/Lovers-Park-Miraflores-Lima.jpg could save 37.4KiB (28% reduction).

Thanks
Gemma

Hi @twoscotsabroad,

Thanks for writing in.

You could download and install force regenerate plugin. This plugin will you generate image thumbnail to optimize your site images.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Can you explain what is meant by - generate image thumbnail to optmize site images.

I optimise using Lightroom and ImageOptim? The images are not sharp when added to website (via X).

What does this mean (from plugin page) Description
Force Regenerate Thumbnails allows you to delete all old images size and REALLY regenerate the thumbnails for your image attachments.

I don’t need thumbnails? I need to know which size to upload to so I can add sharp images to my travel website.

Gemma

Hi

Here is an excelent article on the matter.

I personally export them from Photoshop on Very High or Hight resolution depending the image and where I will be place and before uploading I use tinypng.com

https://xthemetips.com/size-matters-the-x-image-guide/730/

Hope it helps

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.