Remove Custom Sidebars & Have 1 Main Sidebar

I added custom sidebars to the functions.php file in the past so specific sidebars show up for specific categories.

However, I would like to remove these and have one sidebar show up for all the pages on my site. It has become too daunting to try and add and remove widgets on all of these sidebars for every category that I have on my site.

I tried looking in the functions.php file in the child theme, but couldn’t find the custom code that I added years ago. I am not sure where this code is.

Any help finding this code and just having one main sidebar would be appreciated.

Hello @dstro003,

Thanks for writing in!

You may need to refer to your old threads wherein you requested to add custom sidebars:

Best Regards.

Hey @ruenel

Thanks for your reply and for linking to my old threads.

I had a look at them but couldn’t figure it out.

The functions.php file doesn’t have any of the code that I added in the from the old threads and the sidebar menus are still show up on the widget sections on wp admin.

I am so confused here.

Would this code be anywhere else other than the functions.php file?

Hello @dstro003,

Go to Appearance > Sidebars and remove any assignments to your custom sidebars. If this does not help, please provide us access to your site so we can check your sidebars. You can create a secure note in your next reply with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WP login URL
– WP username
– WP password
– WP Administrator Role
- Confirmation that we can access and make changes to your site

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: How The Forum Works

Cheers.

I think I will definitely need help with this.

So I went to Appearance > Sidebars and started deleted all the sidebars that I created. There were like 20 of them. I got through deleting 3 of them and then they all disappeared and were deleted. Not sure how that happened.

Then I created a new sidebar in the Appearance > sidebars to be my main sidebar called Main SSA Sidebar and assigned it to posts and pages.

However it didn’t show up anywhere on the site and there are no sidebars on the site right now.

I would appreciate help setting up a main sidebar that gets shown on all pages and posts.

Thanks and sorry for the hassle here.

Hi @dstro003,

I have checked the sidebar and found that the widget added into it is not working, and that is why it shows blank. I went ahead and added the default calendar widget and that is been shown on the single post page. I would suggest you check all the pages and posts where you have added this sidebar by adding any other widget.

Thanks

Thanks for your response.

I have included a video explaining the issue. I can’t seem to figure out what is going on with the sidebars still.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey @dstro003,

The sidebar is not working on that pages because the page layout is set to No Container | Header, Footer, that page template will have a full width layout. If you want to display the sidebar on your pages, you may use the default template or Layout - Content Left, Sidebar right.

The reason why you need to manually edit all the page templates of your so-called category page is that it is an actual page, not a category page.

On the other hand, if you are wondering where those other sidebars came from, you may check the theme sidebars, it was added over there.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for helping out here.

Okay this definitely helps out. I can now see what it wasn’t showing up.

However, the design of the page when I change the page template to default or content left sidebar right doesn’t look so good.

Is there any way to make it look like the one below?

So I would like to

• remove the border around the content
  • remove the amp simulator header
  • let the grid breath a bit more on the page and have it take up more of the page

Thanks for your help!

Hey @dstro003,

To fix your issue, you need to remove the extra columns on each of your pages. This is what I am referring to:

Then you need to add this CSS code in the Theme Options > Global CSS for the page styling. Please note that the CSS code below will only work if you choose Layout - Content Left, Sidebar right as page template.

.page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar .entry-title {
	display: none;
}

.page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar .x-container.offset, .page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar  .entry-content {
	margin-top: 0;
}
.page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar .x-container.max {
	width: 100%;
}
.page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar .x-sidebar {
	margin-top: 1.75em;
}
.page-template-template-layout-content-sidebar .entry-wrap {
	box-shadow: none;
}

I made changes on this page as an example:

Please note that providing custom CSS code is outside the scope of our support. Issues that might arise from the use of custom CSS code and further enhancements should be directed to a third-party developer or you can avail One where we can answer questions outside of the features of our theme.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Great! Thanks a lot for all your help!

Hey @dstro003,

You’re welcome and it’s our pleasure to help you! If you have any other concerns or clarifications regarding our theme features, feel free to open up a new thread.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.