Recent Posts with featured images and readmore

Hello. I am in the middle of building a website with X Theme, based on the Agency demo and the Ethos stack. I’m trying to add a section for recent posts to the homepage that will have a featured image to the left, post title, excerpt, and a readmore, like it appears on the Blog.

The Classic Recent Posts element and its available shortcodes don’t meet these (rather basic) needs.

On your forums I found code for allowing excerpts, added it to functions.php in my child theme, and got the posts working to an extent. But there are still problems:

  1. No left-hand featured image or readmore.
  2. For each post, the entire block is a link, which I don’t want.
  3. The post titles just run out of space with an ellipsis.

Rather than keep experimenting, I thought a third-party plugin might solve this. I installed Recent Posts Widget Extended, created a sidebar, added the widget to it and adjusted the settings. Then in Cornerstone I added a new section to the homepage and pasted the plugin shortcode [rpwe] into a text element. The posts do appear, but no excerpt is showing, and it’s all really tiny. I can’t work out what’s going on. Can you help?

  1. To make Recent Posts Widget Extended work as expected.
  2. If that’s not possible, then to set up featured image/readmores in the way I describe above.

Thanks.

hi There,

Thanks for writing in!

We are really sorry but we don’t give support towards third-party plugin issue. To help you. find out what could be the cause of the issue we need your website details so that we can have a look and give you a possible solution!’

Please provide following information:
Set it as Secure Note

  • Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
    All the best!

Thanks for getting back. I’ve added a secure note.

Hi There,

Thanks for the details!

I can see you have added the shortcode to a text element, which is causing the issue.
Because the plugin is a widget plugin only works better in sidebar widgets.

I removed the text element and added a widget area element which works as expected.

If you want to change the style or add custom CSS please go to Dashboard -> Appearance -> widgets in home widgets you can change the setting or can add custom CSS.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

That’s brilliant support, thank you very much @basanta.

But I have amended the Secure Note to a new one - could you please read and act on that? Thank you.

HI there,

I have removed the image on the public post and moved it to a secure note for reference.

The image should now only be visible to the staff and you.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

You are welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.