Recent Posts - Portfolio Categories

Hello,

I have noticed recently that many V1 elements are not functioning properly. One example of this is my most recent issue. I am trying to add a recent post element to my home page to display a specific portfolio category. I add the element, which I can see populate all images from the portfolio, but as soon as I add a specific category the element goes blank. Even worse, if I click on another element on the homepage and try to click back on the portfolio I just added I cannot. The portfolio element I just added is gone and cornerstone does not seem to allow me to access it… I then have to delete the entire row and start again. This is very frustrating and elongates my workflow. Also, this is just one example of many that I have come across, primarily V1 element issues.

Are there plans for these elements to be fixed? Themeco has said that we can continue to use V1 elements. V1 elements aren’t working correctly and V2 elements cannot supplement all V1 elements currently. Could we either have a fix for the V1 elements, or some new V2 elements to replace the broken V1 elements? This is starting to become very frustrating and is costing me time, money, energy, and stress.

Hi There,

I Confirm the issue on my end.

I will add to our issue tracker.

In the meanwhile, I could suggest you use one of our Addons The Grid or Essential Grid to display your posts.

Those plugins will allow you the same functionality as the recent posts element with much more flexibility regarding design.

Hope it helps

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @mattcaldwell,

Thanks for writing in and I’m sorry you’ve been having this issue. I think there was some confusion on this initially, as the shortcode does indeed allow for portfolio categories, as well as multiple category configurations, there are just a few specifications for how it needs to be setup. First we’ll need to review our live shortcode demo pages:

http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/recent-posts/

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of that page, you’ll find a list of accepted parameters for the shortcodes and a description of how to use each one of them. For our purposes, the two you’ll want to focus on are the type and category parameters. Taken directly from the page, here is how those two parameters are described:

  • type – “post” or “portfolio.”
  • category – to filter your posts by category, input the slug of your desired category; also accepts multiple category slugs separated by a comma to display posts in any of those categories, or multiple category slugs separated by a plus sign to display posts that have all of those categories.

Since the default for type is “post,” for your situation where you’re wanting to pull through a portfolio category to the frontend, you’ll want to enter “portfoliio” to ensure that it’s pulling from the correct place. Next, we’ll need to enter the category slug into the category parameter. This is one area that can trip people up sometimes as the slug is different than the category name. By default, a slug is typically an all lowercase version of your category name with dashes put in place of spaces. So if your category is “Our Works,” the slug that is generated by WordPress will likely be “our-works.” It is this “our-works” value that you would want to enter into the category parameter.

Also, as you saw from the article excerpt, we can use multiple slugs separated by a comma or a plus sign to achieve different results and filter things as you want.

Again, I want to apologize for any confusion there might have been initially as the shortcode is certainly not broken and is functioning as it always has. The core functionality of this shortcode has remained consistent from the beginning (by design for backwards compatibility), and it is simply built off of core WordPress query features, so everything should still be functioning as expected. In my personal tests, all methods of using the shortcode still function as they should.

If you do not feel that your question was adequately addressed with my response, or you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. Hopefully this will help to point you in the right direction moving forward.