Problems with Cornerstone after latest update

Hi all,

Just updated to the latest version of X and since that moment I cannot use Cornerstone at all. At the moment Whenever I try to go to Cornerstone Content or Theme Options all I see is a loading screen like this:

It stays that way and nothing happens. Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Julian

Hello Julian,

Thanks for writing in!

I have checked both sites associated with your licenses. One is using W3 Total Cache and the other one is using a minify plugin. After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

And also I found out that in Body Wisdom site, you are using CloudFlare. Right after your updates, please log in to your CloudFlare account and purge your site cache. You also need to regenerate the minified CSS and JS files in CloudFlare.

If ever you have installed Autoptimize plugin or any other plugin that has a minify feature, you will need to regenerate the clear the caches and regenerate the files so that the code from the latest update will be loaded and not the old cache and minified files.

And please clear your browser cache too. You may use private browsing mode in testing your site to make sure that you are viewing the latest codes from the updates and not the cached version in your browser.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

And thanks for your reply. So I did what you described above, but the result is still the same. I purged the cache both via W3 Total Cache as well as Cloudflare. I also regenerated the minified CSS and JS files, but I still cannot use Cornerstone. I do however see something else that might be causing this problem:

Can this be causing the issue I am seeing? And if so, do you have an idea how I can actually fix that?

Kind regards,
Julian

Hey Julian,

Would you mind providing us access to your site so that we can check your settings? I would love to do some investigate to your issue. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password
​
To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thanks.

Hey Julian,

The cornerstone-endpoint directory returns a 404 error code.

Something could be blocking that directory in your server. If your host used ModSecurity, please request for it to be temporarily be disabled just to check if that is the cause of the issue. If that is the cause, please have your host whitelist the said directory.

The issue could also be caused by optimization either by your caching plugin and/or CDN. Please do the following to determine which of them is causing the issue.

1. Clear all caches again then temporarily deactivate your caching plugin. Also, clear your browser cache and check if the issue persists after this.

2. Clear the CDN’s cache again and temporarily disconnect your site from the CDN.

If the issue persists even after doing the above actions, please try re-installing X and Cornerstone and also give us FTP or cPanel access.

Thanks.

Hi all,

So I tried exactly what you mentioned. Support from my hosting says they are not using ModSecurity.

1. I also cleared the cache and disabled the plugin and cleared my browsing cache and tried again but the result is the same.

2. I see the “Failed to recover from malformed AJAX response” in the console.

3. I also tried to clear the CDN’s cache and disabled the CDN as well, but the result is the same and I still see the same thing in the console.

I am giving you credentials for the FTP Server now in a secure note.

Kind regards,
Julian

1 Like

Hi Julian,

Thank you for the information. I also disabled the Cache plugin and the JetPack and tested the case and checked the log and could not find why this is happening.

I suggest that you move the website to another server or your local machine and test the case, that way you will get around the CDN and the possible hosting settings that we think is the cause of the issue. See if it works on that case.

Please consider that we tested the latest version of the theme on different servers and it works correctly, the endpoint problem is the indication that builder can not access the necessary assets.

Thank you for your understanding.

I have been having this exact same issue. If I change my hosting settings back to PHP5.6 manually then the PRO editor works, but this is really cumbersome and the hosting company want us on PHP7.2.

I have reinstalled X, changed memory settings, changed timeouts, disabled caches, you name it but no change.

I hoped today’s theme update would fix this but it is still the same.

If this endpoint works in PHP5.6 then surely the system can access it then? What changes in PHP7.2?

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I honestly don’t know what to do anymore. I also did everything I could think of already and still nothing is working.
The fact is that I could enter Cornerstone and edit stuff. I saw there is an X-Theme major version update and I applied it.
2 seconds later I tried using Cornerstone again and it didn’t work anymore. I too was hoping that today’s update might resolve the issue, but nothing changed and the problem persists.

From my perspective I was using Cornerstone and immediately after the update I couldn’t reach it anymore. Sounds a lot like a problem with the update rather than my other plugins. Also, I already tried disabling pretty much everything and the problem is still there. I reinstalled the Theme, reinstalled Cornerstone, cleared all caches as well as disabled the CDN. Nothing works…

Kind regards,
Julian

1 Like

Hi catvine,

Quick question, how did you change the hosting PHP settings to version 5.6? I want to test if the same version would enable Cornerstone for me as well. Do you edit the PHP.ini file?

Kind regards,
Julian

I am also suffering from the same issue

Hi Julian,

Would you mind loging in to your Cloudflare dashboard and Purging all (Purge Everything) the caching, then put it on Development Mode while we troubleshot this issue.

Purging cached resources from Cloudflare
What does Cloudflare Development mode mean?

And lets try Increasing the PHP Memory Limit by following the guide provided here.

You can change that on your cPanel, please contact your hosting if you need more assistance on this changing PHP version.

How To Change PHP Version And Modify PHP Settings With CPanel

@SlideHeroes please do the following:

• Ensure that you are fully up to date. WordPress (5.2.3), Theme (7.0.3), and Cornerstone (4.0.3) (Version Compatibility)

• Clear all the site caches (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors. Please deactivate this caching features while we tackle this issue.

• Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If nothing works, please create your own thread and provide us login credentials in there.

Thanks,

Hi again,

Honestly I’m loosing my mind here. We’re very close to launching our product and production is almost ready, but we can’t work on the website at the moment.

I tried all the steps listed above and again the result is the same. I will leave Cloudflare in Dev mode for the time being regardless, so that you can conduct some further testing and hopefully find what the problem is.

I also increased cache limit to 512M as described in the above link

Kind regards,
Julian

Hello Julian,

I have inspected your site and your server returns error 404 for the Cornerstone-endpoint. Is your ModSecurity enabled? Please contact your hosting provider and ask them to whitelist this url in the secure note.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hi RueNel,

I already mentioned some comments above that one of the guys from my hosting support told me that they don’t use ModSecurity. I can ask again, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue actually.

Kind regards,
Julian

Julian,

Could you try disabling Polylang plugin and test it again? I saw similar thread and it appears their recent versions is affecting the ajax request to return 404, that includes cornerstone-endpoint.

Thanks!

Rad,

Awesome! That was it indeed! Thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Julian

Hey Julian,

You’re welcome!
We’re glad @Rad’s solution works out for you.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.