Pro + WooCommerce + ConvertPlus = Stalling at checkout

I am having a bad issue with the combination of these three-- Pro theme + Woocommerce + ConvertPlus.

At my WooCommerce checkout page, once I enter my name/address info, it gray’s out my order details AND checkout button for 1 minute and 30 seconds (I timed it) before it allows me to continue.

I have narrowed it down to a conflict with the ConvertPlus plugin. (I did have ConvertPlug. After I realized that was causing the conflict, I deleted and reinstalled it, noticing the name change to ConvertPlus. This did not help.)

When I deactivate ConvertPlus, the order checkout page stalls for only 2 seconds after entering my checkout details, and I can proceed (this seems normal).

Help please! I am just about ready to launch this site and need to get this working. Here are more details:

  • All plugins and themes are up to date
  • Php latest version 7.06 CGI
  • I am using a child theme but have also tested the delay still happens with Pro (no child theme).
  • I’ve tested in Chrome and Safari and both are showing the extreme delay.
  • My wp memory limit is 256mb max 512mb

Here’s how to replicate the issue:

  • go to www.thehouseoflevi.com/preview to bypass the coming soon page
  • Click on “shop”
  • Add any item to cart & proceed to checkout
  • Fill out name & address— then you get stuck on that page for 1.5 minutes before you can proceed

Hey there,

I see the issue in your site. Before we proceed, I would like to know some details first. Also, I could not try this for you. You need to do this yourself so you have knowledge.

  1. Is the issue fixed if ConverPlus is disabled?
  2. Is the issue fixed if you switch to the default WordPress theme?

It’s important that we know that so we could narrow down the issue.

I also see an error coming from your custom script in Customize > Custom > JS. Please remove it and check if the issue persists.

Also try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

If those doesn’t help, would you mind copying your site over to a staging server so we could test there. We need to remove stuff so it’s not ideal to do it to your live site as it might break. If you allow us to do it in your live site, that would be fine.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply!

The issue is fixed if ConvertPlus is disabled.
The issue is fixed if WP default theme is activated.

I removed the javascript but that was not causing the issue because it still persists.

I have just created a complete backup of the site, so please go ahead with a test to try to fix it.

Hi there,

It sends 30 ajax requests on that page at the same time. And those requests are from ConvertPlus, I don’t see any requests from Pro so it’s not related to this issue.

And even if I did nothing, it still sent ajax requests which are now with a total of 136 requests and freezes.

How about excluding those pages from your ConvertPlus? There should be a setting that you could do that. And how about changing your WP heartbeat setting? Like from here https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/the-heartbeat-api-changing-the-pulse--wp-32462, the slower the better, or maybe turn it off for good.

The more requests, the more processing time it needs, plus the security plugin that scans each request which makes it more a lot slower.

Thanks!

I disabled the ConvertPlus plugin on the checkout page. Now the delay is at 47 seconds instead of 90.

You said the security plugin is scanning the request-- I disabled that and the delay is still happening.
I downloaded Heartbeat Control plugin and disabled the heartbeat on all pages except post editing.

Trying to narrow it down further, I removed the footer from that page completely and the delay is still there.

Then I removed the HEADER and the delay is gone! So it is something in the Pro Header that is causing the delay.

Removing my css from the header takes the delay from 47seconds to 10-20 seconds. But I learned this CSS from your Pro tutorial videos. Is it not a good idea to use this?

.h-top {font-size: calc(1.5vw + 0.3em);}
.h-top2 {font-size: calc(1.2vw + 0.2em);}
.h-bottom {font-size: calc(1.1vw + 0.4em);}

But 10-20 seconds is still way too long-- people will think it’s not working. There has to be something else going on with the Pro header. When I disable the header the delay is 1 second. Please, can you take another look?

Thank you!

Hi there,

It’s not because of Pro header, maybe it’s because what’s within Pro header. Pro header resources are only loaded in the builder while you build it and there is no loaded Pro header builder’s asset in the front, even the ajax.

As of now, I can’t do further checking as your site is not loading at all. Perhaps your site has incapable concurrent requests? But I like to know what’s within your header, is there widget or form?

And that codes is just CSS, the calculation is done by the browser. It’s my first time knowing that a CSS rendering could delay connections. Let us know once the site is up and I’ll check again :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Oh, okay… yes that makes sense the CSS is rendered in the browser and would not delay connections.

I got a report that the site was down for a little bit but it is back up again.

It is the first header I built using Pro and I learned from the tutorial videos…although I felt a bit clumsy since it was my first time using it. There is nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary in the header. There are links, images and there is a button that makes a popup. The header is labeled “Header for subpages”

Thanks!

Hi there,

It’s due to ConvertPlus added as inline content in the header. So yes, it’s the overall culprit. And since it’s part of the header, it becomes available globally and affects the performance of every page.

I changed the hearbeat to 60 seconds interval and it seems to be okay, could you check it too?

Thanks.