Pro: Not able to work with cornerstone in wpml translated site

Hey support,

at first my setup

  • Wordpress single installation with wpml
  • X Pro
  • my main language is german, located at domain.de (this is the domain which is in every database-entry)
  • my second language is english, located at domain.com (domain.com points to the same origin like domain.de. WPML takes care of the rest. It is the same like different paths for each language: domain.tld/de and domain.tld/en - I just use different domains instead of different paths)

Problem

I am not able to use cornerstone with the domain.com sites correctly. So it is not possible to design english articles for me. I get the misconfigurated error stating:
origin: domain.de
preview: domain.com/some-random-site

Just to repeat: I am not using multiple environments, I have no misconfigured URL’s and I have not migrated.


Background

When I edited my last english article 5 days ago I was able to do so. The error did not exist. But therefore I repeadily received an licence not validated error, which I ticketed here:

What I found out:
5 days ago I was able to open up the Pro interface on domain.de and domain.com (yes, it is the same installation and no multisite). This way I opened up the Pro interface on domain.de to edit german posts. If I edited english posts I opened up the Pro interface on domain.com.
When I tried to edit an english article and opened up Pro interface from domain.de I got the same error I receive now.

Now, my problem is I cannot open up Pro Interface from domain.com anymore. When I try I get a 404.
What I do not know is, if this error occured through an update (kinsta web hosting does automatic updates, so I even don’t know if there had been any) or because support from my earlier ticket had changed something that she didn’t tell me.

I am pretty sure that my settings before I contacted support were (WPML automatically adjusted these settings):
wordpress url: domain.de
site-url: domain.com

When I opened it up today, those two entries are domain.de. But I’m not 100% sure about the formerly setting, just want to mention it, in case it helps with the solution.


Additional

I’m able to design header and footer in german and english. Seemingly, because the translation parameters are given by paramters in the url, not a change in domain.

But there is a problem, too. I design a new header in german. Then I click to design the translated header and everything works fine. But if I want to make a change after I saved the english translation, one of the two translations gets completelly lost. If I make the change in the english header I lose the german version, if I make a german change, I lose the english version.
Not sure, if this is Pro or WPML related, and also it’s additionally. I have a workflow with this error here, although it’s not a good one.


Conclusion

For me it seems that my earlier error and the one I now have, are 2 sides of the same thing. Either I get an unvalidation error because PRO thinks I have 2 installations or pro doesn’t let me use itself with the second domain.

Can you please take care of this frustrating error. I need the ability to use the tools correctly with my setup. A setup change is no possibility.

I will provide login-credentials securely. Site is backed up, so do what you have to do, but please find a solution.
Just a help: under settings/“fast velocity minify” you can delete the minified js and css files, in case you change some js or css. After that you have to delete the kinsta cache to see the changes.
(no, kinsta cache cannot be deactivated. Yes, I have tested: the error consists without fast velocity minify, too.)

How to get the error

first way
Login and choose language german or Deutsch. go to Beiträge (Posts) and click edit with pro below an entry. Everything works fine.
Now, change language to english and try the same. You get a 404.

second way
make sure, that you are in the german language. Launch pro and choose “Inhalt” (content). Look for an english site (search for a site named “contact”). Click edit. You get the misconfiguration error. Here I could use skeleton to edit posts (no option for me)

third way
make sure you’re in language english. Try launching pro. You get a 404.


Thanks

I know it’s long, but the last time there had been some misunderstandings with support. To my best ability I double checked everything I can.

Thank you for your reading patience.

Hi there,

The validation will only work in a single domain with single Wordpress installation. It should work in the multi-site root domain, but will not work on other sub-sites. Hence, you should only install add-ons and validates it in the root domain which should be okay since installing and updating it will also update the other sub-sites as they share the same files.

Plus, the issue here is, even with multi-site, its internal URL still uses the root domain and I can confirm that. And since the domain mapping has no direct integration with the builder then that amplify the issue too. Would you mind providing your network admin login credentials? I’ll try if it’s possible to edit them through the sub URL instead of a domain. Then I’ll add this to our issue tracker to inform our developers.

Thanks!

OK,
what I understood. X Pro Theme is not compatible to the multi-domain configuration with WPML, right?

What I learned the end of last week is that X theme is compatible with WPML, X Pro is not. May there be a date when X pro will also be compatible?
Because in this way I could at least use WPML’s integrated translation editor and would not need to use the PRO interface. This would bypass the error.

To that I ask myself why my configuration worked at first then? I don’t mind setting up a second key if there would be a way.

To your question - with kinsta comes that I cannot configurate a lot myself. There is no htaccess or other stuff. I only can configure wpconfig. For the rest the support does these changes. I will provide you my ftp access and a login for my kinsta account so you could write support there (they answer within seconds to minutes)

Hi there,

No, with or without WPML, it may still not work since Multi-domain could trigger CORS issue which browser will not allow, having to load asset files from a different domain. Could be solved by allowing multiple origins but that should be in your host configuration. But may still not work if the internal URLs are not properly configured. Hence, too complex.

WPML is compatible with both X and Pro but there are known issues that are our developers are working on. But if you can provide the specific issue you’re getting then I may able to check it and see if it’s a bug. If it’s header and footer builder, then you can simply go to WPML > Translation Options > Custom posts and allow everything.

There are other builder issues too when WP 4.9 became available. We only released the bug fixes for WP 4.9 MEJS (for media library) but we’re not sure with other issues introduced by 4.9, I recommend downgrading it to 4.8.3 for now.

And yes, it may work and may not work since it’s multi-site, but it should mostly work. But I never tried multi-domain as it can really cause CORS issues.

You only provided the credentials for admin instead of network admin, I can’t fully check it yet. Plus, there are many possible causes in your current setup and the one is yes, the multi-domain. I can’t recommend any workaround as of now. Could you try cloning your site in staging? And in there, disable domain mapping then provide its network admin login credentials, and downgrade it to WP 4.8.3.

Thanks!

Hey Rad, thanks for your message. I will check that later and write another message. Staging is no problem.

Sorry for forgeting network address - I provided it in the upper secure note

WP 4.9 might not be problem since I started developing with it - but that’s just my “no-network-pro” 2 cents

Hi there,

Please let us know when staging is available, plus, I don’t want to mess up your current setup since it’s multi-site. Which login is the network admin? I tried the above credentials and it says invalid.

The network admin should be the main admin when you installed your Wordpress, and it should have access to multi-sites instead of just one.

Thanks!

Again @Rad,

it is no Multisite. You were talking from this as multisite, right? https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
I thought you wanted access to my domain-admin when you asked for network admin.

I cannot provide a network-admin because there is no such admin. I provided an admin login and that’s the only admin I have. Like in post 1 - it is a normal wordpress installation without multisite. German and English happen within this one installation. WPML handles the translations with the different domain-setup (1 of 3 options you can choose for handling translations)

EDIT: I took another approach and will not use two domains anymore. I now know about the problems that come with it and will consider using appropriate tools if I will go for a two domain setup again. For now - you can close the topic. Thank you for your support.

Hi there,

Ah, sorry for the confusion. But I still don’t understand how you achieve two domain in the single instance of Wordpress without multi-site. But yes, could cause trouble if internal URLs are not properly configured.

Thanks!.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.