Pro Header automatically "resetting" previously saved and created headers

Hello,

I am writing this as I am beyond extremely frustrated.

A header I have built weeks ago that was highly customized was “reset” to being blank automatically upon saving.

I updated a few settings (margin, styling, etc.) and after saving, the preview screen came up blank. All bars/containers and content within were gone. I refreshed my site and the blank header was live. I went back into the main Header console and found that the header itself was not deleted, but simply wiped clean.

Fortunately, I had part of the header saved as a different header I previously created. I copied it to recreate the header that was “reset”.

After multiple saves and updates later that were reflected on the live site, I made some final adjustments and saved it… yet again, it was reset!!! After saving, the header was blank… all elements deleted and reflected on the live site. The header is still there, but now empty.

I have worked with X and now Pro quite a bit and have completely ruled out user error. I have not deleted a single element nevermind each and everything within the header except for the header itself. I am not sure why it is saving and updating sometimes and other times resetting (not deleting) the header.

I am tired of spending time building and adjusting headers to be pixel perfect for it only to be reset. I am worried to even touch any settings of the one header that I have used to copy and build off of… if that gets deleted then I will be forced to start from scratch which is not an option.

I am not sure what to do at this point. If there is anything that can be done to fix this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Louie

FYI, “Home Header” was the original header that was reset. I copied “Copy of Home Header” which is the only header I have left that has not been reset… the header, “Copy of Copy of Home Header” was the latest header to be reset.

Hello there,

First of all,l we are sorry for the inconvenience. This is a strange case which we did not have reports in version Pro 1.1.1 which is the current and latest version you are using on your website.

As we also do not know the reason at the moment, you will need to do some tests to see why this is happening in your environment. I strongly suggest that you duplicate the website to a staging one so that the test results will not affect the live website.

  • Kindly increase the PHP Memory Limit. You may need to contact your hosting service provider if it is not allowed by your Wordpress installation.

  • Kindly change the Child Theme to the original theme and do the tests below. It might be something related to the customization in the Child Theme. (Not sure, we need to take the steps to rule out possibilities.) I checked the Appearance > Editor and there is no PHP customization there, but there might be JS one which is not showing on that list.

  • (Hard thing to ask but we appreciate if you take the time and do it.) I copied the Copy of Header and renamed it to Header Test by double-clicking on the name of the header and added a new page called test and assigned the newly copied header to that page. Now would you please kindly start working on the header, but do changes step by step and save and see the result. It is very important to know the exact step which is causing the error.

  • There is an image which is loading via http and not https: ‘wp-content/uploads/2017/03/EulogyBannerBackground.jpg’. That causes the mixed content error. I am not sure if that is the problem cause but it worths to double check and change the URL to have the https protocol.

  • There is a Javascript error when I try to assign the header:

There is a Javascript code conflict on your installation. Is it possible to check any custom code of Javascript that has ‘$’ in it? That should be changed to ‘jQuery’. The conflict may be caused by the 3rd party plugins. please kindly deactivate all 3rd party plugins to make sure that is not the case.

I know troubleshooting an edge case like this can be time-consuming and frustrating, but unfortunately, that is the only way to narrow down to find the cause of the problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

1 Like

Hi Chirstopher,

Thank you for the detailed response.

In regards to the reports, are you referring to my specific environment not properly reporting or Pro 1.1.1 overall is not generating reports?

I will duplicate the site into a staging server to debug.

I will contact WPEngine to increase the memory limit.

It is doubtful that the Child Theme is causing the error unless there is an issue with the Child Theme itself. There has been no PHP customization nor any JS.

I will gladly rebuild the header and take it step by step to see where the bug happens. Unfortunately, I didn’t take note of what I specifically changed prior to saving and the header being reset previously. I actually rebuilt most of the header since I made the original post, but then it happened again… I am not sure if the copied header you created is the most up to date. If it is not, I will copy the updated header and assign it to the test page and work from there. Thankfully, once the header is complete and saved I will not be touching it anytime soon.

I will fix the image issue. I just enabled SSL and have yet to update the image paths.

There is no custom Javascript written, so it must be a plugin which is trying to access jQuery’s $ variable. I will deactivate all 3rd party plugins to see what is causing the issue.

I understand the process of troubleshooting this issue and I apologize if my initial post came out strong. After spending over 2 hours redoing the same thing over and over again, it was just frustrating.

Will keep you updated. Thank you!

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the report, I meant from other customers having the Pro version 1.1.1 installed. I meant there are no threads with that nature of having the header completely unusable after working on it. That is why I concluded this might be an Edge Case or something specifically related to your environment.

Thank you for duplicating the website for further testing. That is a wise choice.

Thank you for contacting the hosting service provider regarding the PHP Memory Limit increase.

Then we can rule our the Child Theme problem possibility.

Great, that will exactly detect when this problem happens on the test page.

Thank you for fixing the Image URL issue.

Yep, keeping the 3rd party plugins deactivated will be the correct way to go while you do the header test.

Thank you for taking time and doing this process. This will be also important for us to make sure why this is happening and if we find the reason we can be prepared regarding this.

Thank you.

Hey Christopher,

Just want to give you an update that the issue has since been resolved. Actually, I was able to complete the adjustments I wanted to make without this happening again. Once completed I made a backup copy of both headers I am utilizing just in case and have since updated the backups as the I modify the main header and it saves correctly.

Thank you for your detailed and thorough response and help with this matter. It is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Glad this is now resolved and thank you also for updating us!

Cheers.