Portfolio Item and Text Article

Admin Name Fiona
password Honey2017
email [email protected]

https://blackislegardendesign.co.uk/wp-admin

i there, read and followed instructions to install Theme X Child Theme (https://theme.co/apex/kb/how-to-setup-child-themes/) and activated it.

I then hoped to make two customizations /modifications to the portfolio page. So far I have failed.

Modification 1

I would love to position EXPLANATORY TEXT underneath the top slide and to the left of the other images which are placed in the second column.

Objective of Case History Portfolio:

The site is about garden design and I want to describe what needed to be done in individual gardens using a CASE HISTORIES portfolio layout.

Ideally, within the portfolio structure this would mean that every portfolio item will cover a separate garden, exhibiting a different place and client.

This is why text accompanying the image or gallery is imperative. Having just a title description does not carry the message sufficiently. Depending on the scale of the project, I anticipate needing anything between 200 and 500 words

Here is a typical item which would benefit from my managing to input explanatory text. At the moment I have a frustrating empty space below the featured image which is crying out for some explanatory text to be written.

https://blackislegardendesign.co.uk/portfolio-item/case-study-1/

Or to put it differently, I’d like to have text running to the left of the second column and therefore below the featured image. The feature image I understand to be the top priority image in each case-history. The others currently thrown to the left sidebar column are further photos taken of the same case history and client.

Another way of looking at what I’m hoping to do is to effectively frame the portfolio item of each separate garden like a magazine page in which it is possible for example to begin with a headstrap feature image and then to move into text that flows down several paragraphs or columns with different combinations of images placed inside the text (- floated right or left or whatever).

I had thought that maybe the key to achieving this type of ‘look’ was to utilise cornerstone and drag and drop mixing text with image. But all I get when I press this is the request for me to press on a shortcode. This surprised me. When working with this plug-in, I’m accustomed to seeing icons that you drag and drop to a place WYGWUC

Please take a look at other portfolio items and you’ll see in every case, I’ve failed miserably to have something that looks half-way reasonable. I particularly dislike the way in which the second column seems to bunch up images or text.

WHAT I”VE TRIED TO EMULATE.

I should say that I have come across several discussions on older forums
But I am not sure having created a child theme, how I input the code given. There seems to be one step that I am missing. I attempted to follow through on the advice given here - as you can see if you look at my Dashboard/Appearance/Editor.

Problem 2.

For iPads and mobile screens I would prefer that the layout was what I call content bands: alternating images and pictures with around three to four pairings. What I mean by this is having Image followed by text. Second image followed by more text. Third image followed by more text etc. In other words something of the flexibility of design you get on a magazine page.

Hello,

Thank you for writing in!

Follow the answers about each question:

  1. I’ve checked your portfolio item and won`t possible add the text underneath the gallery with these rule:
 .single-x-portfolio .entry-wrap {
    float: right;
    width: 32%;
}

.single-x-portfolio .entry-featured {
    float: left;
    padding-right: 35px;
    width: 68%;
}

To have the text under the gallery, you`ll need to add these code:

  .single-x-portfolio .entry-wrap {
    float: left;
    width: 100%;
}

.single-x-portfolio .entry-featured {
     float: initial;
    padding-right: 35px;
    width: 100%;
    padding-bottom: 25%;
}
  1. Please, I am not sure about this question, would you explain it again, please?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.